This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Wuppertal (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wuppertal
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be going there in a couple of weeks. The Schwebebahn sounds interesting, to transport geeks (and I'm a bit of a closet transport geek). Anything else worthy of note? What's the beer like?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Schwebebahn is lovely. There's a zoo. Engels was born there. If I remember right the hills around there are pretty, and you can buy good cutlery up the road in Solingen.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know the story of Tuffi, the elephant that fell out of the Schwebebahn?

-

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treibeis
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for treibeis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you meet a woman called Dorothea in Wuppertal, don't go out for a drink with her a couple of times, and then end the second evening with "You're a lovely, lovely woman, but ...". Because if it's the same Dorothea from Wuppertal that I knew, she'll bombard you with letters for three months, informing you that, had she known what a cunt you were, she'd never have got involved with you in the first place.
Posts: 1298 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bear that in mind, thanks. I suppose there aren't all that many Dorotheas in the average medium-sized Nordrhein-Westfalen town, so no risk of mistaken identity. Parents must have been George Eliot fans.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know her, she's Dotty.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of German towns have a Dorotheenstrasse. Wasn't she a kaiserin or similar?

The Schwebebahn's amazing. Means the town centre gets no natural light though...

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I thought that image above was a drawing earlier, I guess it's a technocolor photo.

Anyone got a pointer to an english story of what happened?

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She was rehearsing for the part of Dumbo in the christmas pantomime, and forgot there was no safety net?
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

The elephant was riding in the Schwebebahn as part of an advertising gag. It panicked, broke through a window and fell into the Wupper, thankfully suffering only minor injuries.

I'll come clean: the photo's a fake. There are pictures of Tuffi getting into the carriage and being hauled out of the river, but unfortunately no-one snapped her actually falling into the river, so the papers made a mock-up.

Even so, it's still about the most famous thing that ever happened in Wuppertal.

G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Wuppertal in South Africa. A British travel writer described it as the arsehole of the world. So I went there. He wasn't wrong. Still, incredibly beautiful area. And my psiorisis cleared up completely within hours of getting there (and returned within hours of coming home)
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

I hope the German one has the same effect. Rampant, it is, at the minute.
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it, seeing as the German Wuppertal is smack bang in the industrial heartland.

What do you use to treat the condition, Wictred?

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Well, the Schwebebahn is lovely. Coolest public transport system I've ever seen.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the elephant in the carriage?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC