This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » So, Northern Ireland....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, Northern Ireland....
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been to Limavady, near Derry for 3 days, attending the wedding of a couple of friends, one of them a local. I really enjoyed myself. Quiet afternoon in a great little pub with a nice log fire and plenty of Guiness, good chatter amongst us and with the very friendly locals. This was followed by a very nice little meal in the local "posh" restaurant. Late night cap in The Pub, where the youth congregate. Handily next to The Chippy also. The owner is planning to buy another pub and call it The Other Pub...They don't fuck around in NI...

Wedding day was as good as a wedding can be, a bit more religious than usual (Catholic) but it was dealt with swiftly. Reception was in the usual corporate hotel with a golf, at least the meal was half decent and plenty of free booze. Great fun after though, ceilidh with the band master teaching us a few Irish stomps then the rather idiosyncratic DJ decided ACDC, Thin Lizzy and New Order would be good songs to play before switch to Oirish dance and a rousing rock version of the Fields of Athenry. I believe my friend S and I gave a rather fantastic rendition of a rock band during a Bryan Adams number, my back is doing much better at the moment...

Oh...Any breakfast coming with pancakes, potato cakes and fried wheaten bread is worth having...

I'll be back, good people, good guiness and good fun.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been to Belfast twice, Newry once and Portadown once.

I found Belfast an odd place that seemed to be far smaller than it actually was. As you would expect with the benefit of hindsight, it's like a weird halfway house between the Republic and Britain which feels wholly and strangely different from either. My two visits there were for a music awards ceremony in 1997 and a wedding in 1999. Not a terrible location by any means, but I still wouldn't go rushing back.

Portadown was a dismal, claustrophobic, filthy place when I was there in 1991 as a schoolboy (long story). I would be pleasantly surprised to hear if it's got any better in the interim.

Newry was so long ago (mid-1980s) that I can't remember anything about it, other than that my parents bought me a fantastic big Times atlas while we were up there.

I was also in Donegal a few years ago. It is far, far stranger and more unsettling than Belfast, but better than AProdTown.

[ 02.05.2006, 02:01: Message edited by: Citizen Smith ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My folks currently live not far from Limavady. It's a beautiful part of the world but a bit uptight and remote (which is sort of part of the package in NI). Don't think I'd fancy living there meself. I really like Derry though - probably my second fave Irish city behind Galway. I quite like Belfast too now, having not liked it much on first visit - if you like Liverpool and Glasgow, there's enough there to enjoy.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derry and Galway are large towns really.
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, towns anyway.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
galway is a medium sized town with large suburbs. I've never been to Derry.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC