This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » One Laptop Per Child (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: One Laptop Per Child
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded.

While M-X was I think in the wrong about the technology, he was spot on about the value of this enterprise.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpanglyPrincess
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for SpanglyPrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I translated an interesting thing about this last year - the design was done by a Milanese company - and I agree that it's not a remotely helpful way of tackling extreme poverty. But it's not aimed at extreme poverty, as noted above. its aimed at countries where education should be a priority, where if there is not yet reliable medical infrastructure etc there is at least a reasonably effective governmental & administrative infrastructure in place to work on such aspects.

they also did quite a lot of research into how these things would be used - noting, for instance, that many families used their prototypes for lighting, since it represented the only source of effective artificial light for a lot of them. I don't think they're quite as naive as is being suggested on here. Though I've no doubt that someone is making a lot of money out of the whole project.

Posts: 2447 | From: a fantasy world of my own making | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm typing this post on my OLPC laptop--Mrs. Inca saw that they were doing a donate one, get one, and I opened the package thinking it was something else and ruiningthe surprise.

the keyboard is tiny for my fat fingers, but i figure i can use it, then it will be my daughter's whe she's older.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So? How is it? Details, please.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't played around with it too much so far.

Physically, it looks really cool. Remember the Speak & Spell toys?

-

It's shaped like that. White and green, kind of like the old Apple colored laptops. It's not light, but the handle makes it really easy to carry.

A bit of a small screen, but I'm impressed by the colors on there. Like I said, small keys on the keyboard, but I like the rubbery feel of it. First mouse keypad that I haven't detested. The camera/video/audio function is pretty cool, and the screen can rotate around and be closed backwards to make it like a tablet for playing games--a game keypad is off to the side of the screen.

A lot of creativity programs--painting, music editor--and it has some math stuff that I can't figure out. You can tell it's designed with kids in mind, so I'm sure my girl is going to really enjoy playing with it in a few years.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of a parallel - Evil Denis O'Brien has set up a mobile phone network in Haiti and the response has been universal acclaim. Itís investment that has improved communication and reached the bottom level of society. OLPC is kind of in the same field. The pilot programmes will show whether it has the hoped for knock on effect improving education / communication.

http://kiskeyacity.blogspot.com/2006/06/haiti-digicel-and-telecom-wars.html

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Picture taken with the computer:

-

Took that and uploaded it to Flickr in no time. Me likey.

WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can crop the old fart out and just give us the cutie, eh?
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC