This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Graphic design (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Graphic design
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Much appreciated.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pleasant enough construct but does it do the job i.e. sell the album?. You would need to know so many things like does it represent the way the band sees itself? Does it chime with the music? Are they opposed to their photographs being used? Is it their first album? Does it establish a feel which they would want to project? Are they happy to be seen to be associated with a minimalist approach and so on. Design always flows from the thinking which flows from the contact/familiarity with the client allied to research.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me want to cry.

Both because it's so beautiful, and I know it will never happen.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the Del Amo Mall in Jackie Brown really exists?
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hells yes, not all that far from the South Bay Galleria, also. Tarantino uses a lot of real locations--though Jack Rabbit Slim's doesn't exist. Sadly, the Hawthorne Grill, the scene of the robbery in Pulp Fiction, was torn down a few years ago.

[ 26.09.2006, 17:29: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Empire, back in the days when it was a half decent magazine, did a feature on the real life locations or inspirations for bits of Tarantino's films (I think this was before Jackie Brown, though).
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

The rooftop in Reservoir Dogs where Tim Roth hears the story to retell is in Long Beach.
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who employs graphic designers - both staff and free-lancers, here's my input - which echoes much of what has been said already. (Though this comes from an Amsterdam perspective, it may well be very different in th U.K. I dunno.)

1. You can probably teach yourself the software, but you need to study design and typography from a real teacher. It's astonishing how many people we see here who can manipulate software but don't understand the fundamentals of graphic design.

2. Though Quark is often considered dead-in-the-water, you'll still need at least a passing knowledge of it as a lot of print or production houses still insist on it.

3. You need a book of real-world work, so initialy you'll probably have to do some free work, just to have something to show. Try selling a day's work on eBay.

4. As for the Mac v. P.C. thing, Mac still dominates the design/advertising/communications universe - so you'll need to know your way round the Mac OS if you want to be taken seriously. Don't forget even as a free-lancer you'll be expected to work in client's offices sometimes.

5. Going rate for a free-lance graphic designer is between 60 - 90 per hour. The rate for a Mac-Monkey is about half that. Whatever rate you choose for yourself, never apologise for it, and only compromise on your rate if you are being offered a shit-load of work.

6. If you just turn up when you promise that you will, turn your work in on-time and on-budget - you'll go a long, long, way.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vole, did you decide to pursue this line of training/work?
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, no. But thanks for asking.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone offer some advice on learning a bit about graphic design?

I don't think I want to do it for a living - I don't have a Mac and I doubt that I have an aptitude for it.

However, I want to be able to appreciate good design a bit better, both for the pure enjoyment of it but also so that I can talk more intelligently about it when it comes up at work.

When the designer presents us with an idea, I want to be able to explain, as much as possible, why it's a good or bad design for what we want to do with it.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not taking a course I teach one that's essentially graphic design for non-graphic designers, but it'd be a long commute I'd recomend picking up a copy of Editing by Design by Jan White. It's been around for about quarter of a century but was updated a couple of years ago. It's exeptionally good for writers and editors who want to understand, if not practice, the design and art direction of publications. White was both an editor and a designer so is able to see the role from more than one PoV, it's jargon free and very accessible. I use it as a first year text.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip AdeC. We are ordering one for work today.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cover Vole.

A few more subway maps:

Paris
 -

Montreal
 -

San Fran
 -

[ 02.05.2007, 07:35: Message edited by: linus ]

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that advice AdC. I'll look into that.

If it seems viable, perhaps I'll take a course. What sort of institutions usually offer this sort of intro class?

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC