This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Graphic design (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Graphic design
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the best thing about BART are the automated voices that announce when the trains are coming--"Northbound train for Richmond, now approaching" in that computer voice.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another imaginary LA train/busway map (this one modeled on the Underground map).

[ 02.05.2007, 15:45: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A de C, do you recommend any of the Robin Williams 'Design for Non Designers' books?
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoM; Yes the one I've seen, The Non-Designer's Design Book is good, and certainly popular with students who are interested in design but feel intimidated by it. She has a tendency to be a bit overly-formulaic about design solutions but I understand why she presents things that way. White is specific to publication design, particularly the relationship of design/art direction to editorial so he's able to go into greater detail and, professionally speaking, is much more practical.

Reed: You might try Community Colleges, particularly Continuing Education departments, they may offer courses like "Introduction to Graphic Design" or "Interdisciplinary Design."

[ 02.05.2007, 20:48: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another map:

The UK motorway system, tube-style

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's beautiful and strange...

[ 11.05.2007, 21:15: Message edited by: linus ]

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Reed, look for anything in Adobe Illustrator, or "Computer Graphics." It's basically a code name for graphic design with a computer. I took a class at my community college (very, very correct aDc - as usual,) and it was pretty good. Illustrator has this pen tool which is astonishingly hard to use - until you learn how and it's awesome.

All of those subway maps were probably done in Illustrator. Adobe makes their "creative suite," which contains Illustrator, Photoshop, and some other shit. Photoshop is a blast to learn if you have a decent teacher and some fun pictures to fuck with.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't have Illustrator.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Saw this mentioned in the NYT Book Review holiday books section: Transit Maps of the World.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please stop reviving this thread, I have work to do...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention in my original thoughts that an essential part is that you are tough.
Like all creative pursuits you will run into the chaps who control the purse strings and therefore think they can control your thoughts.
Sometimes you have to tell them that you are in charge of the design input and tell them to fuck off. If you are perceived as weak you will end up simply doing the skilled bit for their total lack of talent and originality.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Speaking of graphic design, can any our our OTF experts comment on my college's new designs?

See here.
http://www.wm.edu/news/index.php?id=8509

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had to lose the feathers, eh?

It isn't bad, but I find the first down stroke on the "M" (which mirrors the second down stroke on the "W") to be contrived. I'm sure the designer told them that it was dynamic and different, but I personally prefer the old school letters.

The "crest" looks like an IV bag. What's up with that?

And the colours are a bit meh; the gold is particularly flat. Might be fine for stationery, but not so much for athletic uniforms.

Does the "mascot question" include the possibility that the "Tribe" name may be changed?

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the 1959 iteration that looks like a woman 'straddling' a man.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC