This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Graphic design (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Graphic design
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed you had that monogram on all of your shirts (with a tastefully placed "o", of course).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too like the old copulating W & M logo.

The colors are officially green, gold and silver. In some contexts gold looks better. On most of the team uniforms, it's a canary yellow. The silver rarely makes an appearance ("Canary yellow? That's Australian gold my friend and don't you fucking forget it..."). I imagine this trend will continue.

That crest is designed to look like the College's original coat of arms/crest thingy.

-

I agree it looks weak, especially with the little flower thingy on the bottom.

If they're just going to stick with the letters and the fancy ampersand, they could have just used the design currently on the football helmets

-

The whole situation with Tribe is unclear. The NCAA said Tribe was ok but the feathers are not. So as far as I can tell we're sticking with the name. It's a cool name, I think. It signifies the realitively tight knit community on campus. There's not much to do in Williamsburg, so social life tends to be on campus. There are divisions and tensions and so forth, but the vibe is generally pretty good.

In my day, the unofficial school motto was "Suck it up for the Tribe!" Which roughly translates "Take one for the team." It was also used informally to describe the relunctance of performing a particularly hard task like "I really didn't really want to carry that drunk guy home, but I sucked it up for the Tribe."

On the other hand, not really having a mascot makes it difficult to have a cool logo, as you can see. I don't think what we've got there is bad, but it's not exciting.

We haven't had an actual indian mascot since my brother played the part (really, he did, for two years, despite beint white - yeah, I know...) in the early 1990s. They tried a big furry green blob wearing a tricornered hat called Ebirt (see what they did there?)for a while, but that didn't really work. Kids liked it, I guess.
 -

This business with the feathers being abusive and offensive is, of course, a monsterous pile of bullshit in light of the NCAA's total bend-over acceptance of Florida State's mascot and imagery - the spear, the fake indian on a horse, the screaming seminole logo. Our College president has made this point repeatedly. However, the college has decided that it's not a good use of school money to fight with the NCAA in court.

All of the indian tribes in Virginia as well as the half-dozen or so indian students have said they support the Tribe name and don't mind the feathers. By the way, according to all the pictures I can find, the Powhatan people of that part of Virginia really did wear feathers in their hair sometimes. It's not just a stereotype.

Basically, it comes down to this. If you're a big time Division I-A school that plays in Bowl Games, the NCAA will offer you an opportunity to buy political favor with the indian groups in your area and let you continue with your racist imagery. If you're not big time (W&M) or only big time in hockey (North Dakota), the NCAA will act all pious about it.

Maybe the indian feathers ARE offensive to somebody somewhere, but the NCAA's method for going about figuring that out was so blatantly political and bent even by NCAA standards.

I personally think we should change the name to the Gunners, in recognition that Knox drilled his artillery in Williamsburg shortly before they played a decisive role in the battle of Yorktown. It's not offensive to any group, but it's macho and right-wing enough to appease the old (and some not so young) conservative alums that are constantly trying to drag the college back into the ante bellum dark ages.

[ 06.12.2007, 19:12: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

[er...to ua]

[ 06.12.2007, 19:12: Message edited by: WornOldMotorbike ]

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the green and gold color combo--same as Long Beach Poly's.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gunners sounds good to me (I can ignore the Arsenal connection).

Ebirt doesn't do it for me.

Though I really don't have standing to criticise anyone else's college mascot:

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's terrifying.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Why have a mascot at all?

Cal State Long Beach (the 49ers) has a strange inflatable mascot that's about 9 feet tall, but there's a guy inside, so when he walks the head flops all around.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I don't think we use him anymore; it was a thankfully short-lived experiment of trying to make the traditional John Harvard/Pilgrim character look "tough" (see the "scowling" thread).

It didn't work. In my day they just took a tall undergrad and put him in a pilgrim costume. He looked like a dork (and was not alone among the student population in doing so, it must be said).

I agree with Inca that once you decide to have a nickname like the Crimson, you are better off passing on the mascot.

S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could have a tree, like a certain color-themed-nicknamed private college on the West coast.

Actually, I suppose that just proves your point.

Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was wrong with the 1693 logo?
Seriously, it's dignified and withdrawn compared with some of the other shite.
I wonder how far back the research went.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the research went back to 1693, which is when the College was founded (hence the name).

Which do you mean, the shield with the random buildings and the sun? Or the one with the weathervane that says 1693? (that's ontop of the Wren Building).

They also have this one:
 -

and this one

-

Those will probably still be used sometimes. The problem is that they're so old that they might have fallen into the public domain, which means the College couldn't control their use or get any royalties from it.

[ 07.12.2007, 20:19: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC