This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Olbermann v O'Reilly (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Olbermann v O'Reilly
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The confusion we - as its citizens - must now address, is stark and forbidding. But variations of it have faced our forefathers, when men like Nixon and McCarthy and Curtis LeMay have darkened our skies and obscured our flag. Note - with hope in your heart - that those earlier Americans always found their way to the light and we can too.
The rules have changed, though, haven't they? News coverage - or what passes for it these days - doesn't reach the average American in as nearly as impartial a form as it did during McCarthy's, or even Nixon's time. And if I recall rightly, Republicans were actually behind the move to sweep Nixon from the White House. Can you see something like that happening with Bush?
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it depends what you mean by impartial. Murrow wasn't impartial (and a good thing too), and TV sponsors probably had more direct control over current affairs content than they do even now. I think the difference is that with the exception of Fox News, the current affairs programmes (and the newspapers) have internalised the bogus idea of balance/objectivity (bogus as practised in the American media) to such a degree that they can't even see or admit to their own biases. See this interview with the Post's executive editor for a perfect example. I find this far more dangerous than news that wears its biases on its sleeves.
quote:
Is Downie really totally opinion-free? I ask his view of a recent Post editorial supporting a Tony Blair statement, from the White House, on Iraq. "I didn't read it. I have no view." Later I mention The West Wing, the political television series then nearing its denouement, and inquire whether Downie watched it. "Sure. It's a good show." And was the fictional, liberal Jed Bartlet a good President? "I don't have an opinion on that," he smiles.
Edit: I think the key difference, and the one that has got the US journalism into the dreadful state that it's in, is that almost all its senior practitioners have decided that it's not their job to be partial for the truth. If you read Brad DeLong's blog, regularly, he often quotes interviews with journalists where they say this quite explicitly, and don't even see how fucked up that attitude is. They usually say "Our job is to put this information out there, and we trust our readers to be able to find the truth."
quote:
And if I recall rightly, Republicans were actually behind the move to sweep Nixon from the White House. Can you see something like that happening with Bush?
Again, it depends what you mean. Democrats started the move, but it only gained momentum when a large number of Republicans decided they would support impeachment. At that point Nixon had little choice but to resign. I really, really can't see that happening, partly because Rove and co would destroy any Republican who supported impeachment, and partly because there are hardly any Republicans who aren't implicated themselves in one or more of the administration's crimes.

[ 01.09.2006, 01:49: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the key difference, and the one that has got the US journalism into the dreadful state that it's in, is that almost all its senior practitioners have decided that it's not their job to be partial for the truth. If you read Brad DeLong's blog, regularly, he often quotes interviews with journalists where they say this quite explicitly, and don't even see how fucked up that attitude is. They usually say "Our job is to put this information out there, and we trust our readers to be able to find the truth."
I think this is what I mean by a lack of impartiality.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They usually say "Our job is to put this information out there, and we trust our readers to be able to find the truth."
This goes for the UK, too. Say I wrote in to complain to Today about Thursday morning's interviews with Richard Perle and Jeremy Greenstock about whether we really ought to start think about bombing Iran. The whole thing was weighted towards how convenient this would be for us, and Perle was allowed to lie about the reasons for invading Iraq, as he does every time they invite him on. The defence for not challenging him would be that the audience could make up their own mind, and would probably know that Perle was talking bollocks. Well, a lot of them wouldn't, because you've never fucking told them.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy fuck. When Geraldo Rivera has the moral high ground when accusing you of exploiting tragedy, you know you're fucked in the head.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Olbermann named him worst person in the world, and said "Bill-O's" behavior was that of a man crying for help and asked whatever friends he has, if he has any, to intervene.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can imagine O'Reilly's response.

"Keith Olbermann has accused me of needing help and asking my friends to intervene. This is just the kind of soft liberal coddling and hand-wringing that I'd expect from a blame-America firster like Olbermann.

The Factor also wishes to remind him that I have no friends. This is the No Spin Zone, Keith--you can't fool people like that."

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

He also said that O'Reilly had left the human race with his comments on the Bronx fire. I think that sort of rhetoric borders on the eliminationist, but frankly it's hard to disagree.
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snoop v. O'Reilly.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Genius.

"She was raaaaadin' fuh huh peeeyump"

"He's a muthafucking prick!"

[ 04.04.2007, 12:36: Message edited by: Sixth-form Voltoro ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

Wow.
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stand up to a bully and he loses it, well done that Rivera man...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so but something just slightly chilling about the way they cool and become almost convivial just as the clip breaks off. Only slightly, but just the faintest suggestion that both are playing a media game of generating heat. All the same, Rivera is completely on the button and O' Reilly almot illegally off his rocker as ever.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Indeed, but that's the way these guys work. All part of the Fox Family. If Geraldo had walked out, it would have done much more than just playing O'Reilly's yell game.
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen, I know taking on Ann Coulter is the moral equivalent of kicking a sick puppy, but Jesus H. Christ have you read this?

"If you want a shorter rebuilding process, then we're going to have to wage less humane wars. The enemy as well as innocent civilians must be bombed into quivering terror. Otherwise, we displace aggression but don't destroy it."

Why isn't this woman in secure accommodation?

[ 07.04.2007, 09:01: Message edited by: The Purple Cow ]

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC