This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Shot at Dawn - mk 2 (Page 26)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Shot at Dawn - mk 2
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, absolutely he is critical of what they are doing wrong and positive about what they are doing right. This is precisely what his job was, and he was doing it. But you are contending that he actually didn't think the inspections were working. I have to say, I'm kind of stunned by this. He's on record all over the place as saying he thought the inspections should have been allowed to continue.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on. You're saying that “he was extremely positive about how the inspections were going, and was approving of the ever increasing co-operativeness from Iraq.” My reading of the transcript is far less upbeat than that. Yes, he's positive about the forward steps being taken, but he's pretty hacked off with the attitude of non-co-operation from Iraq. In your rush to claim that the Iraqis were co-operating with the inspectors, you're completely glossing over all the extremely significant instances of non-co-operation.

Of course, I'm not saying that the inspections shouldn't have continued, nor claiming that Blix thought or said that.

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In your rush to claim that the Iraqis were co-operating with the inspectors, you're completely glossing over all the extremely significant instances of non-co-operation.
No, I'm not at all. They were obviously very unwilling to co-operate for a long time, and really were only doing it all under various forms of duress. And they were obviously constantly looking for ways out.

But the point is, that even in spite of all this, the UN managed to get inspectors in there, and managed to get ever increasing amounts of access and co-operation, from this most unwilling of partners. The trend was overwhelmingly positive, and things were progressing very well indeed, and he duly made note of that.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough - I agree with all of that, except for the last sentence, which I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A petition is being handed in to the Scottish Parliament calling for a pardon for all those convicted under witchcraft legislation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7268111.stm

You can probably rehash most of the arguments I used in the latter part of this thread for that one too.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to write that it's different because of the absence of living relatives, then I saw that the last conviction was in 1944. People are astonishingly fucking stupid cunts sometimes.

Oddly, the group campaigning for a pardon describes itself as an organisation of "mediums. How do they know these people aren't guilty?

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't think that this bit:

"The group said many of today's occupations such as herbalism, alternative therapies and midwifery had their roots in the same traditions as the women burnt to death in previous centuries as "witches"."

helped their cause very much. (Not that I was very impressed with listing midwifery alongside alternative therapies.)

As for the 1944 case, if they want to revisit it on its own merits and decide it's worthy of a pardon, I obviously have no problem with that. A blanket pardon is a different thing entirely.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for the 1944 case, if they want to revisit it on its own merits and decide it's worthy of a pardon, I obviously have no problem with that.
Easily done. Does she weigh the same as a duck?

quote:
A blanket pardon is a different thing entirely.
Fuck's sake, smallweed. What, you reckon that some of those convictions for turning people into newts were sound do you?

[ 28.02.2008, 13:48: Message edited by: Purves Grundy ]

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any 209 year old laws that are still in common judicial use in their original form today ?

I find it staggering that we were fighting Hitler, yet somehow found time to fritter away court time on suspected witchcraft. I mean, even the Roman Catholic Church must have got over witches by the middle of the last century.

That said, I'd happily put false warty noses on herbalists and homeopathists and drown them in aromatherapy oil. They would die in a pretty relaxed and soothing manner.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

quote:
What, you reckon that some of those convictions for turning people into newts were sound do you?
Sound by current law? No of course not.
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been turned into a newt.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sure, it's only a little newt, but it's my newt..."
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC