This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Really dull Quark Xpress query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really dull Quark Xpress query
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a job interview on Tuesday which incorporates a Quark test. While I've used it in the past, I've not used it for quite a while now, and even then not to do anything particularly advanced.
I have two queries:

(a) are there any particularly good online tutorials anyone could recommend?
(b) I have a book called "Teach Yourself Quark Xpress Version 4" in the house. How useful is this likely to be, given that Version 7 is the newest one? Has it changed in any hugely significant ways since version 4?

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the official training files.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They keep adding bells and whistles to Quark, but these tend to be the bits involved with repro and the high end of design.

If you're using it as an editor or as a sub, then it's not vastly different, to be honest. The old toolbox buttons are still there and the measurements pallette is pretty much the same. I've got version 6.5 and the only new feature I really appreciate is the automatic table function.

If you're decent on version 3.11 at an editor's level then I wouldn't worry about the test. If they want you to design and output a full-colour catalogue, then I would.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent - thanks, chaps.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and good luck with the interview.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go in and tell them that Quark went out with the Ark, and InDesign is where it's at these days.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, you know. My employers switched to InDesign last week, and if they've decided a piece of software is outdated, you knowit is.

[ 24.08.2006, 21:10: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Stumpy says, If you can use Quark 4, you'll be sweet with 6.5.

TonTon, the driving factor between Quark and InDesign is simply price.

Other InDesign whistles and bells such as transparencies/drop shadows are fairly dodgy in any case.

I love Quark for its no-nonsense layout-stylee, it's multiple layout per doc feature and it's text editing shortcuts for point size, leading and tracking.

InDesign's strengths are its text-outlining feature, its AI file import and its [option]-drag copy/paste function.

Otherwise they do the same thing.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find InDesign absolutely maddening. Quark makes sense; if you have a proble,,. you can figutre it out easily. With InDesign you'll neet a six-months course just to figure how to import a photo and make it fit exactly as you want it.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

Thanks, TEV.
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took to InDesign straight away - it's got loads and loads of useful little things that Quark doesn't have. Especially in the CS version. Sadly I can't remember what half of them are, because I've forgotten what Quark was like.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swings and roundabouts really. I get the feeling a lot of designers like InDesign and if that holds sway, then so be it. And obviously, as an Adobe product, it works better with other Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat).

If you're a hack working on layouts, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. I've just been using Quark for about 10 years and am reluctant to change.

Plus, sending a job to a printer is far easier these days than in the days of Syquest drives and that mullarkey.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a hack working on layouts.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC