This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » The "west of Scotland"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "west of Scotland"
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spin-off from the thread about the Celtic goalie and his religious gesture. A couple of posters on there referred to sectarianism in "the west of Scotland". I'm just curious about the geographical scope here: is this "west of Scotland" concept just shorthand for Glasgow and environs, or is there something about the whole of the west coast area from Stranraer up to the Hebrides that makes it culturally distinct from more eastern parts of Scotland?

I do recall being disgusted some time ago (early '90s I think) at the petty bigotry of some Presbyterian sect to which Lord Mackay of Clashfern (Major's Lord Chancellor) belonged, which decided to expel him from their church because he had committed the foul treachery of attending a Roman Catholic funeral of a close colleague and friend - I think those small minded cunts were based somewhere up in the western Isles.

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an outsider (from Belfast), I've always assumed it to be a euphemism for the Old Firm.

It may also be a nod to the nearby Korean coast.

There are, and were much more in the recent past, plenty of sectarian divisions in the east, south and north of the country. The east, at least, is fairly populous. And all regions of the country are full of R and C fans.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

- posted      Profile for cookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Duncan says it is pretty much centred around the Old Firm, who have buses travelling from all over Scotland, although there is also, to a lesser extent, a problem in Edinburgh around Hearts and Hibs.
Posts: 363 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Glasgow and its environs pretty much covers it - I guess west central Scotland would be more precise really.

The Western Isles have the likes of the Wee Frees, though, who are no less endowed with religious lunacy.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

- posted      Profile for cookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A wee free former neighbour of mine who had a season ticket for Ibrox actually missed most of the old firm games as at that time they were being played on sundays.
Posts: 363 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between the 'Wee Frees' and your average Rangers bigot is that the former probably attend church regularly, so at least 'walk the walk' so to speak. My experience of WoS protestants (albeit nearly 30 years ago) was that a significant majority of Rangers supporters (including my Father), and a similar proportion of Orange Lodge members, only went to church for weddings, christenings and funerals.
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

Nothing much has changed in that respect Willie.
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that I'm a WoS proddy myself, just in case I'm accused of something......
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

Snap.
Bob Skeleton
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for Bob Skeleton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling to think of any Rangers fans I know who attend church for anything other than weddings and funerals. If these people call themselves Protestants, don't they need to attend on a weekly basis?
Posts: 395 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the West of Scotland might benefit from having a major football club whose supporters were all Buddhists.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC