This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Probably very ignorant e-mail attachment question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probably very ignorant e-mail attachment question
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that a 14.5 Mb image file balloons to 20.2 Mb when I attempt to send it via e-mail?

Where is the other 5.7 Mb coming from (I've not included any message) - and is there any way I can get rid of it? I've got a 20 Mb limit on e-mail attachments.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, good question. I use Microsoft Outlook at work, which has a habit of rounding up the size of attachements.
Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... to the nearest 10 Mb?
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea. Never emailed anything of that size.

It will round up a 600KB file to 1MB, but whether that changes the actual size of the file (for the recipient), I've no idea.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's all to do with the size of your packet.
Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

Stumpy - found this explanation.
quote:
The precise size allowable actually depends on the attachment. When you add an attachment, the size of a file may increase because transport encodings are automatically added. (Transport encodings are the information that allows your message to be safely sent and read.) This means that, for example, attachments that are 11 to 15 MB in size may push the total message size above 15 MB.
No way around it, apparently - unless some clever OTFer knows better.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC