This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Dual citizenship (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dual citizenship
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having lived in the UK for nearly 20 years now, and being fed up of having to file the rows and rows of zeroes that is my US federal income tax form each year, I'm considering becoming a UK citizen.

It's unclear to me, though, what the implications of doing that would be on my US citizenship. Looking at the American INS site hasn't really made the matter any clearer. Do I keep my American passport, and do I enter the country through the "US citizens" corridor? Would there be any restrictions on how long I could stay in the country?

It'd be nice to finally have a say in who Britain's next Prime Minister would be, too.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that the US did not allow you to hold dual citizenship.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, just don't tell them.

Edit: and yes, you can come through the British passport queue.

[ 22.09.2006, 17:08: Message edited by: Sgt. Pinback ]

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/dual.htm says I'm wrong, so there you have it.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go, Vole. Hope it helps.

I have dual citizenship with another country and take ths shortest line at the airport when entering Europe, but coming home, definitely the US citizen line.

Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you still have to file a federal tax return, even if you're a dual citizen? I thought the only way to avoid having to pay taxes to the US government was to completely renounce your citizenship, and then you can never even come back to visit (or something like that).

Maybe TPC knows the answer to this.

[ 22.09.2006, 19:21: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US doesn't officially recognize it, but they also are no longer actively opposing it. They will, however, go after you if they think you have renounced for the purpose of avoiding taxes.

This looks pretty solid from a practical perspective.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Swiss and Canadian passport. I can get an Italian and British one too.

Were we to live in a more innocent era, I would go with all four of them at borders and tell the chap to take his pick. Nowadays, it would probably lead to a few unpleasant hours answering questions...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could get a Dutch passport, but new Dutch laws mean that I'd have to renounce my Irish citizenship if I did.

I think it's pretty small minded in this day and age to deny people the right to be from multiple countries.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpanglyPrincess
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for SpanglyPrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dual Italian/British citizenship, the main benefit of which so far has been to enable me to vote against berlusconi... it also means you don't panic so much when you lose your passport in a fit of disorganisation.
Posts: 2447 | From: a fantasy world of my own making | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out my b/f has dual citizenship (US, Venezuela) and is eligible for a third (Spain) as well. I told him he still has to wait with me wherever we go. [Razz]
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
edTEV: I was born in the US and became a naturalised British citizen when I was about 16. The two big things to worry about are tax (in theory you have to pay tax in both countries, but there's a massive threshhold) and travelling. Basically they will go apeshit if you try to enter the US on a different passsport. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

Edit: There would, of course, be further complications if both countries were to reinstitute the draft. Not sure what I'd do then.

[ 23.09.2006, 13:34: Message edited by: Ginger Yellow ]

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this, GY. Not sure what you mean by "apeshit" - having lived over here for 20 years I've come to know the "arrivals" routine.

So, if I still have to file US income tax I've very little to gain ... apart perhaps from not being able to choose for my favourite right-wing politician in UK elections.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty handy to have two passports - it saves a lot of tedious questions at US immigration about why you've been to the Middle East so much, and the EU passport lines move much quicker at Heathrow too.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex had dual citizenship for the USA and the UK, and it was enormously useful for her. I'm certain that there are no restrictions on it.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC