This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Newsweek either hates America... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Newsweek either hates America...
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or it thinks that we're all dumb, or that we can't handle real news.

Newsweek's covers by geographical regions:

-

Crooked Timber also went back to look at last week's covers--the U.S. one is truly awful in comparison.

I was shocked to hear that somewhere in the world, CNN isn't dumb, then I finally got to see CNN International. It's not great, but it's miles ahead of American CNN. I guess the same goes for Newsweek.

[ 27.09.2006, 06:44: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article is still in there, it just thinks that the US cover will shift more copies.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newsweek International is indeed miles ahead of the American edition, in part because it is edited by Zakharia. Maybe 40% the size (fewer fluff and ads), but seemingly three times as much content.

Whenever I am on a plane in the US and get the American edition, I am shocked at how different it is.

Linke, it is more than just newsstand appeal; the whole tone of the book is quite different in the states.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it PT Barnum or WC Fields who claimed that nobody has ever gone bankrupt underestimating the intelligence of the American public?
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HL Mencken.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was shocked to hear that somewhere in the world, CNN isn't dumb, then I finally got to see CNN International. It's not great, but it's miles ahead of American CNN. I guess the same goes for Newsweek.
Along these lines, one thing we've noticed when we vacation in the U.S. is that you simply don't hear news about the world outside U.S. borders. On one cruise out of Miami, we had dinner with a group of Brits who were on the last leg of a month long excursion. They kept asking if there was anything big going on in the 'rest of the world' they ought to know about.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone with an acronym, at least.

quote:

Linke, it is more than just newsstand appeal; the whole tone of the book is quite different in the states.

Indeed, the whole first section of the mag is little news "tidbits", the conventional wisdom chart, and the like. I haven't read it in years, so that might have changed, but I doubt it. And who could forget George Will on the back page?

I somehow suspect that the international editions also don't have the American Newsweek required cover story on Jesus or something to do with the Bible every six months.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

quote:
Along these lines, one thing we've noticed when we vacation in the U.S. is that you simply don't hear news about the world outside U.S. borders.
You can if you listen to NPR or read one of the leading newspapers, but aside from that, it's mostly the minute-long "World Roundup" segments on local TV news.
Vernons Pools
Member # 324

- posted      Profile for Vernons Pools     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Along these lines, one thing we've noticed when we vacation in the U.S. is that you simply don't hear news about the world outside U.S. borders
You know that's not exactly true.

National Public Radio is a great resource for news and news talk. Plus they (here in Boston at least) take the BBC 1 hour News shows in the morning and twice in the evening. Yes, mainstream TV sucks for news but if you have cable/satellite you can get all the news you will ever need from all the major European and ROTW Networks.

Posts: 1297 | From: the place with all the pace | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time does the religion covers, too, with corny lines like "What in heaven is going on?" Ugh.

I had a glance at the September 11 issue of Time in the office kitchen, but somebody whisked it away before I could read the big article by Harvard professor Niall Ferguson that's written from the view point of 2031 (I think) and that starts out by saying that history will be kind to Dubya. I felt really irked that a newsmagazine would devote a huge chunk of space to someone's imaginings, so maybe it's better for my blood pressure not to have read it.

As for different covers of magazines, I've seen a city/suburbs divide on womens' magazines--sex is prominent on the city covers and downplayed on suburban covers.

Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Yeah, forgot about the BBC News on local PBS. Only get the 30 minute international edition, though.
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inca and VP
Of course, you're both quite right. I was referring to fairly casual news viewing. The sort of thing you'd see in your hotel room on the 'easy to find' media and newspapers. As well, the closed circuit feed on cruise ships has a decidedly CNN US feel to it. Sussing out the local NPR broadcast takes a bit of work, as does hunting down a copy of a respectable broadsheet at a Ft. Lauderdale 7/11.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I don't spend a lot of time watching the news when I'm on vacation. I'll skim through a newspaper or maybe have a brief look at TV news. I do find myself wondering if I've missed anything big, but mainly it's my own fault. Also, other countries' media tend not to cover what we're used to seeing extensively.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time is even worse than Newsweek, if you ask me. It's also more corporate and right wing. Zakaria's actually a decent journalist, especially by US standards.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Time is worse, and has been for decades.

TEV has put his finger on an essential point here. The corporate interests that drive "news" coverage in the US are convinced that their audience is both stupid and profoundly uninterested in stories other than "news you can use" and "if it bleeds, it leads". Stories involving people who do not look like or think like the target audience are particularly frowned upon.

The fact that the New York Times, the supposed newspaper of record, has closed numerous foreign bureaus while tripling their "lifestyle" coverage is evidence of this, as is the fact that the CBS Evening News, which for decades was the most authoritative TV news program in the country (the program of Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite) is now hosted by the former host of NBC's breakfast show.

All of this makes me very, very, very sad.

[ 27.09.2006, 17:36: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC