This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » German language question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: German language question
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a degree in German and have done some chunky stints living there, but there's a vocab point which still puzzles me.

The dictionary tells me that the German for "congratulations!" is something like "[herzlichen] Glückwunsch!". Can that really be right? It just sounds nonsensical. It seems to mean, literally, something like "happiness wish!". Surely if someone's just achieved something that you want to congratulate them on (as in "well done mate, I'm pleased for you") it totally misses the point simply to wish them happiness?

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's right; it is what one says (at least in Frankfurt).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It's also what you say on someone's birthday.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks ua. I thought as much. Still sceptical as to whether it conveys quite the same message though.

[edit - to AB - well, I can see it's more appropriate on, say, a birthday. I mean, just reaching a birthday is - in normal circs - no great achievement. Contrast, say, where someone has passed an exam. Saying "Happiness Wish!" to them just doesn't seem to convey any concept of "well done!"]

[ 27.09.2006, 12:00: Message edited by: The 7th Baron Bartok ]

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the exact same reaction the first time I saw it, but my sense is that it has come to have a meaning beyond the literal, though you could read it as something like "I am so happy for you", which isn't that far off.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German is full of such compound words. The economy of the German language might even explain the Wirtschaftswunder.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never thought of it that way.
Come to think of it, at a birthday you also congratulate the person for completing another year rather than wish him luck for the future when you say "Glückwunsch", so it's basically also a "well done" here.

Hm. Must give it a think.

Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely newcomers to the English language must have trouble understanding "compound" words like butterfly.

This, which I believe is from CS Lewis, might be appropriate here:

quote:
I was beginning to think in Greek. That is the great Rubicon to cross in learning any language. Those in whom the Greek word lives only while they are hunting for it in the lexicon, and who then substitute the English word for it, are not reading the Greek at all; they are only solving a puzzle. The very formula, “Naus means a ship,” is wrong. Naus and ship both mean a thing, they do not mean one another. Behind Naus, as behind navis or naca, we want to have a picture of a dark, slender mass with sail or oars, climbing the ridges, with no officious English word intruding

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

Interesting points EV, but not wholly convincing to my mind.

English approaches the compounding of nouns in a different way from German. Our language distinguish between cases where each of two nouns keeps its own original meaning, in which case one normally has a two word compound expression (such as "butter knife", "butter dish", and cases where they don't [edit] have to, because they are in a single, new word (such as buttercup, butterfly etc.)

German knows no such distinction. If you have two nouns in sequence, with the first qualifying the latter (as in the English "butter dish"), they always combine them into a single word (leading to the hilarious multiple compounds nouns cited from time to time as examples of how unwieldy German words can get). So it's not at all clear that "Glückwunsch" should be seen as in the "butterfly" rather than "butter dish" category. It is an analogous formulation to "Liebesbrief" (love letter) for instance, i.e. it carries a strong flavour of a "Wunsch" relating to "Glück".

[edit: even where the meanings of the contributing nouns are not 100% literal, as in the endearingly clumsy German word "Baumwolle" for "cotton", the components usually contribute logically to the meaning of the compound. G-wunsch being a strange exception.]

And, sticking to CS Lewis's exhortation about thinking in the relevant language, I would ask, with regard to this bizarre word, "Warum in Gottes Namen wünscht man einem Glück, der das schon geschafft hat, was er schaffen wollte?"

[ 27.09.2006, 15:27: Message edited by: The 7th Baron Bartok ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Genau.
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to compare the two languages in quite that way. I wanted to suggest that to think about how German words and phrases are formed from an English-language perspective may not be helpful.

I take your point, though.

Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC