This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Stoke-on-Trent — what to see and do (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stoke-on-Trent — what to see and do
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nil thread.
Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HORN
Member # 204

- posted      Profile for HORN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it be just an evening? Or a weekend?

If it's an evening then you're screwed.

If it's a weekend, and you have a car, then the options are marginally better.

Posts: 2404 | From: Sgeti | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously?

Arse around with monkeys

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I was joking. I was wondering if anyone had a good word for Stoke (pottery lovers and locals aside).
Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go and see the Fine Fare building in nearby Newcastle under Lyme. If it is still there.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's bound to be a local museum all geared up to tell you what a 'saggar maker's bottom knocker' is.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also good for Arnold Bennett enthusiasts. You can do the "Arnold Bennett trail".
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stoke-on-Trent is a bizarre town, with no real centre. Obviously it makes a bit more sense when you realise it's five towns and a lot of sprawl stuck together, but when the centre is actually Hanley town centre with the Potteries shopping centre or Stoke Town Centre with the Town Hall and a one way system you realise how bad the place is.

Half of Stoke is built on landfills too. Most of them are just filled with pottery shraff, but there are a few nasty ones about too. The last time I was there I was surprised to see some new housing built right next to one of the real nasty ones (off the Leek Road). Festival Park is built on a nasty one too - just near there there's some permament flares which constantly burn on methane generated from the landfill below.

Some bizarre stuff as well ; there's otters in the middle of Stoke too as they found a place on the Trent where Minks won't go.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atteveld
Member # 1140

- posted      Profile for Atteveld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's bound to be a local museum all geared up to tell you what a 'saggar maker's bottom knocker' is.
Indeed. The Potteries Museum's not bad either, but it's closed at the minute. What brings you to Stoke, Stumpy?

[ 08.02.2007, 19:18: Message edited by: Atteveld ]

Posts: 94 | From: a crumbling two up two down | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a huge gas leak in Stoke yesterday, which had still not been contained by this morning. As a consequence it took me over two hours to get to work.

On Tuesday night, Chorley were meant to be playing in Kidsgrove, which is part of Stoke, more or less. The game was called off 20 minutes before kick-off owing to a frozen pitch. Since the ground in Macclesfield was frozen all day, I would think that the same was probably true of Kidsgrove. However they still saw fit to have players and fans travel all that way for nothing.

I don't have a good word to say about Stoke. If you don't have a compelling reason for going there, and watching football is the only one I can think of, I strongly suggest you give it a wide berth.

Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't have a good word to say about Stoke. If you don't have a compelling reason for going there, and watching football is the only one I can think of, I strongly suggest you give it a wide berth."

Seconded. even going to watch football there should make you have a long think about it.

Terrible, terrible place. Never, ever go out in Hanley. Ever.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mate Les at work tells a story about going to Stoke and returning to his car to find someone had crapped on the bonnet.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't work for the Newcastle-under-Lyme tourist board by any chance, do you PR7th Heaven?
Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stokies love Newcastle. On a Saturday night then can regularly be found "going up 'castle duck".

When the alternative is a night out in Hanley it's not surprising though.

I once went to the Beer Fesival in Stoke (at the Town Hall). That was quite good.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely someone like Mike Pejic or Alan Bloor must run a pub there with tons of yellowing photographs of the 1972 League Cup Final above the bar..?
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC