This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » The Verdict (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Verdict
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Falling education standards? I can do my moan about grammar (and usually make a howler in the process) and inflated grades, but is that really true?

The ideal programme for this would be the old talk-to-camera thing, with perhaps Helena Kennedy.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the final outcome?
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It finishes on Thursday, apparently.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck - they are dragging it out then!
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on a jury at the Old Bailey for a similar thing, it took less than a week, I think. Three days, maybe?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching this, and it's pretty disturbing but I don't think it's as bad as you're all saying. It's showing the way the system works behind the scenes which is very interesting but a bit scary, and it's also showing how hard it is to make a decision in these trials. It does a good job of showing why so few rape trials end in conviction, and that just wouldn't be as convincing if it were a drama.
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have recieved a response from the bbc after complaining about the use of Lord Archer. I'm so cross about his presence, it's caught me off guard quite how annoyed I am. What is wrong with our society where known cheats and liars who've lied their way through life to their own benefit keep getting paid by public organisations using our money?

I feel a red mist just thinking about it, and what can I do? Nothing.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So no one watched this last night then, I assume? It's a shame, because everyone on the BBC website is howling about things feminist agendas and the non-existance of date-rape, and as such aren't worth entering into a discussion with.
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched most of it because I have always wanted to do jury service but never have. I think I am too old now.
Contrary to some views on here the case was fictitious.
I felt the presence of celebs failed compared with ordinary people as their over developed egos, matched with their separation from ordinary real life made them doubly unsuited.
Worth noting that our former player and dogging friend has a form of illness which involves wild ego swings (allegedly) and on another day may have sounded rather less assured which may have been very welcome.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a shame, because everyone on the BBC website is howling about things feminist agendas and the non-existance of date-rape
Biut isn't there a case for saying, from a feminist perspective, that "date rape" is a misleading and disingenuous term, that it actually slightly softens the sound of the crime (in a way that "road rage incident" rather tones down what actually happens - ie "short-fused violent bullying cunt acting the cunt").

Surely "date rape" is just the same as "rape", no? And to make a distinction between the two kind of reinforces the myth that "rape" is something done almost entirely by seedy strangers in dark alleys.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the programme. I hated the premise of it so much, that I couldn't really. Maybe I should have done, I dunno.

quote:
Surely "date rape" is just the same as "rape", no?
I don't think there is such a distinction in English law, is there? I dunno about US law though.
Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

Yes, agree with you E10 about the term. What they were talking about though, was that if a woman is flirting with a man all night and gives him the wrong impression, then it can't be rape.
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who said that though, Jeffrey Archer or Stan Colleymore or some other idiot piled onto the programme to give it some latent controversy?
Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

No, someone on the programme message boards.
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Ah, that doesn't suprise me either. The BBC Message Boards are full of such tossers.

The thing that interests me is sometimes i've heard women say things to the effect that they've gone along with the idea of shagging someone because they've thought it was expected of them, and have faked enthusiasm, so they've essentially said 'yes' but meant 'no'.

Now obviously that's not rape - although you could argue it could be under some circumstances, I dunno - but it's a horrible idea, and a much more important one to determining how men and women see themselves and each other, than some knuckle-dragger arguing with his nob.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC