This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Anthony Bourdain on the Food Network (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain on the Food Network
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird, Inca, some of the poorest bits of London have some of the best grocers. I guess the situation may be bleaker up in the North West, say.

Recently, though, there's been loads of Polish immigration into London. And bam*, straight away, lots of Polish food, fresh stuff. And this is in the same stores that make lots of their cash from doing 6 cans for a fiver on beer.

(* isn't the "bam" guy on the food network?)

[ 14.02.2007, 17:48: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you know, take Delia Smith. She's an irritating woman (except of course when pissed, when she seems to become quite engaging), and her recipes are kind of pedantic and joyless, but they reconcile real "beginner's" accessibility with the use of decent ingredients and sound techniques.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(* isn't the "bam" guy on the food network?)
Yes, Emeril Legasse.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that strikes me about that spag bol is how specific it is about the wine that you slosh into it, yet any old variety of mushrooms will do.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great piece.

Bourdain's great. Truly great.

I read his The Nasty Bits last week, in fact; a collection of articles written for various places. He goes over a lot of this ground, beating on Emeril and Jamie.

The Food Network really seem evil, don't they? Not enough that food has been commodified, food culture is going the same way.

That Spag Bol recipe, btw; Fuck. Ing. Hell.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Sandra Lee page is great. Hours of fun to be had just trawling through the reicpes. I like this one for mushroom risotto:

2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Stir together all ingredients, except Parmesan, in slow cooker.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why so fussy?

1 packet microwaveable Mushroom Risotto, M&SŪ

Perforate film, and place in microwave

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stir together all ingredients, except Parmesan, in slow cooker.
Ha, brilliant. The ingredients don't look too awful, but then they lump them all together in a lukewarm pot. Nice!
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot:

remove film
spoon into serving bowl (optional)
serve

Like I said, these shows are aimed at people who use their oven to store shirts that have come back from the dry cleaner in boxes {I had at least two colleagues in New York who did just that).

And I still maintain that anything that gets anyone into a kitchen for the first time cannot be all bad. Some proportion of the audience will move on to better things.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, toro, Bourdain's a cock as well in his way.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

About what, Wyatt?

I'd have thought you'd love his brash, down-to-earth qualified terroir-obsession.

Plus, how can you not love someone whose favourite phrase of all time is John Gotti telling someone to "sever (his) motherfucking head off"?

Member # 465

(See also AIATL's "they killed him until he was dead"...)
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

quote:
About what, Wyatt?

I'd have thought you'd love his brash, down-to-earth qualified terroir-obsession.

I like and share the terroir-obsession, I'm just not convinced by the brash down-to-earthness. He spends far too long telling us how street he is. His travel show for TV was full of him going on about how amazing it was that these Moroccan dudes were gonna give him lamb baked in a sand oven, with really almost nothing about the food itself.

quote:
Plus, how can you not love someone whose favourite phrase of all time is John Gotti telling someone to "sever (his) motherfucking head off"?
Yeah, yeah, Tony.
Member # 465

I think he's largely got over the "street" thing; one of the pieces reprinted in The Nasty Bits is a lament for the lost scuzzy New York of his junkie days, but commenting on it at the end, he talks about what an asshole piece of writing it is.

And, y'know, it is a travel show. One which he ended up doing because he quit the Food network because they wouldn't let him make a programme about Ferran Adria.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, lots of it is his schtick, an act, like keeping it real, y'know. And the rest is what we all feel when one finds out that million dollar one-bedroom condos have been built on corners where it was to dangerous to buy drugs when we were growing up.

But Les Halles was one of our all-time favourite restaurants when we lived in New York.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC