This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » I've left something on the train (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've left something on the train
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, before we start this, I'm an idiot. I know this, so I don't need anyone to tell me again.

I have had to come into work today and as I was working on a laptop while I was away on a press trip, I thought I'd bring it into work and get the stuff I'd done off it and onto the comp here.

My problem. I got off the train at Balham and left my bag, with the laptop in it, on the train.

My second, bigger problem. The laptop isn't mine, it's my editor's. He is sitting a couple of yards to my left, unaware that I've stupidly left his old Mac on the roof rack of the 11.59 from Sutton to London Victoria.

So what's the chances of me getting this thing back? I've already rang Southern Rail lost property and told them I left it on the train. They say that the train gets checked at the end of every journey and that they'll ring me tomorrow. Bare in mind I'm off abroad again early tomorrow morning.

I've fucked it here, haven't I? I'm gonn have to write everything again. Fucking bollocking arse wank.

[ 18.02.2007, 16:23: Message edited by: The_Liquidator ]

Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gawd, poor you. When is he liable to ask about the laptop? If you can leave telling him until tomorrow, do, because you never know your luck. I've lost paperback books on the Tube and never got them back, but on the other hand left my wallet in a crowded city-centre pub on a Friday night and got it back the next day. Having said that, the chances aren't great, like.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be so negative but your worst possible scenario isn't that it gets nicked. Just imagine if it sparked a bomb scare, gets taken out in a controlled explosion and then traced back to your editor.
I left my laptop on a plane in Istanbul airport once just a few weeks after a cleaner lost a hand when a package left under a seat exploded. I legged back the entire length of the airport almost wetting myself in fear. Luckily procedures for dealing with forgotten luggage had not changed and it was returned to me in one piece.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to ask this, only because I trust that the good citizens of south London would hand any found lost property into the proper authorities, but can you boot the machine up without some form of password access?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Although it's so old there's no wifi internet or anything like that.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a friend of mine left an electric guitar in a case on a train into Waterloo and it was handed in to lost property, if that's any consolation.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're mega-busy, I'd start rewriting the stuff again now. It'll take your mind off it, and you'll be ahead of the game if the worst happens.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

I've left all my notes for both features in the same bag. Good move eh?

And I am too busy, unfortunately.

mackstress
Member # 1485

In that case, I think you should definitely have a nice cup of tea.
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

Fuck's sake. I'm really fucking pissed off now, I'd not realised that my notes were in there.

BOLLOCKS!

Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was the 11.59 from Sutton to Victoria, it must have been back and forward along that route at least five times, by now, yeah? The whole journey only takes half an hour. Surely lost property at Victoria can tell you if anything's been found by now?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

It takes an hour today. Sunday service. I'll ring them now I think.
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

Oh hang on, I think I've found it on e-bay. Save yourself the price of the call.

It's 5.80 at the moment, but I've just pushed itup to 6.

The_Liquidator
Member # 694

Update; No sign of it at Victoria or Sutton and there was no answer at Dorking when the station manager at Sutton rung him.

Balls.

TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shit, sorry to hear it.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC