This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Has anyone ever had a grown-up bunkbed? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Has anyone ever had a grown-up bunkbed?
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this?
I am considering one for my new flat to save floor space, but I haven't slept in a bunkbed since I was about seven. My main worries are: will it be incredbily uncomfortable; will I fall out; will I wake up sharply in the middle of the night and knock myself out?

[ 24.02.2007, 13:15: Message edited by: mackstress ]

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, you must have a small flat. Are you buying this to accompany a celibate lifestyle?
Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that small, but I have a lot of crap. I will be throwing a lot of it away, but still, need every bit of floor I can get. I hadn't even thought about the second point. That would be a problem, wouldn't it? Still, I could buy a really plush rug... mind you, the lifestyle is pretty much celibate anyway recently, if not by choice.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were standard issue in the dorms that I stayed in, but I had a suite, so only two people in each room. The bunks also didn't have a ladder, so you had to climb up on the desk, if there was no bed underneath, or on the outside of the bed if there was another bed underneath.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slept in one of those recently. It is unquestionably a spontaneity-killer.

As for falling out, that will happen just as often as it does in any other bed, which would basically be never for most people I would think.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've slept in one of those, actually - my brother's got one in the spare room in his flat.

It's plenty comfy to sleep in, but the ladder is a bit sore on the feet. And it's available in double-bed size in case your luck improves.

edit: no, SSS is not my brother.

[ 24.02.2007, 17:04: Message edited by: blameless ]

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waking up in the middle of the night with a need to go to the toilet is a real drag in one of those, too.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

Hmm. Waking up pissed in the middle of the night with a need to go the toilet could end up quite painful, I imagine. Still, I think I will get one. I could hang washing off it as well. Hasn't this been an interesting thread for you all? Thanks though.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have bunk beds in the guest room that I sleep in when I'm staying with them. Getting out of the top one a few months ago, I pulled something in my right leg which keeps getting worse and worse to the point where I can now barely walk. If I were sensible, I'd go to the doctors, but I'm convinced that all they care about is me stopping drinking, so bugger that.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in a flat that had those built into both bedrooms (the bedrooms were tiny). It made virtually all of the floor space usable for other things, which wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I think if the bed had been on the floor, I would have had room for either my desk or my chest of drawers, but not both.

The cons:

-making the bed and changing the linens is much more difficult
-if you sit up too fast, you can smack your head on the ceiling
-you always have to be aware of where you are, so if you are prone to getting up in the middle of the night to go to the potty, you have to remember that you're five or six feet off the ground

Overall, I didn't mind it so much when I was living there, but I don't miss it. If it's something you need to do out of necessity, it's worth thinking about, because you do regain a lot of floor space.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the celebate lifestyle, YATR and I managed just fine in the loft bed. I think he only hit his head a couple of times.

edit: I really should read all of a thread before replying.

[ 24.02.2007, 22:43: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure Ikea have thoroughly tested this thing, but I've visions of heightened passion turning into a collapsed heap of twisted metal. It just looks too damn flimsy.

-

A potential deathtrap!

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

That's a fair point, SP. The one I had was made of wood and fastened to the walls with nails. It didn't even shake.
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the problem with these things is that they don't assemble very sturdily and are therefore incredibly rickety, leading to an excess of extraneous clanking in the middle of the night whenever you make the slightest motion. and yes, the rungs are a bit sore on the feet, you'll probably want to make sure you're wearing slippers whenever you go up or down.

as an alternative, couldn't you get a sofa bed? or one of those beds that retracts up into the wall?

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A futon is the way forward.

It's space efficient. It doesn't hurt when you fall out of it. It kind of fools your brain into thinking you have two rooms as well.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC