This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth Clark has a nice section (in Civilisation) on Delacroix, particularly on the ceiling he painted for the French national library. What do you think he chooses? Wise men like Raphael's School of Athens? Nope:

-

That's a detail of "Attila followed by his Horde, Trampling under Foot Italy and the Arts". What a choice! The point, made by Clark throughout his series, is the fragility of civilisation/high art. You don't even need vigour to destroy it, like the historical Atilla presumably had. He's a bloke who looks bored, on a ropy looking nag.

Lives there a man who could sit in that library (which I presume isn't a library now- wasn't there a Mitterrand grand projet new one?) and not be inspired as he looked up?

I'm liking the look of most of the Delacroix I'm finding. This is "Ovid among the Scythians", which depicts the urbane Roman poet after banishment to some grim place:

-

It's the restraint of this I like, from an artist who's classed as a Romantic. No-one there's poking or teasing him, and he's not breaking down, but it must be insufferable all the same. The colour is great too, getting over a sense of alienation that seems very modern. And I love the fancy blue trousers of the poet.

I love the colour in this too- though I can't vouch for it in the original, unlike the previous one. "Massacre At Chios":

-

Again, quite restrained in terms of what shown, but how unsettling.

I get the feeling this is a really, really big artist. And we haven't done Liberty Leading The People yet.

[ 27.03.2007, 00:16: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that bloke in the 2nd picture wanking off that horse?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're so cultured.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm liking the look of most of the Delacroix I'm finding. This is "Ovid among the Scythians", which depicts the urbane Roman poet after banishment to some grim place:

Maybe I'm pished, or maybe Ive been watching too much World Cup Cricket.... but my first reaction was the batsman had to really get out of the way of that delivery.

Is that Holland fielding?

Their bowlers arn't that good.

What the fuck?

Is that a horse being wanked off in the outfield? Ok its Holland fielding but....

[ 26.03.2007, 23:57: Message edited by: Villain ]

Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

- posted      Profile for Villain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoobes: Great minds....

(And Stella)

Posts: 2049 | From: Croydon init | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

The Horse certainly seems concerned.
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about horse-wanking but it does look a bit like cricket, I suppose. The dog is being brought in to field at point, and there are two men in on the other side for the bat-pad. That other horse in the background is at fine leg.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Villain
Member # 468

Added to which the batsman is holding a bat, and they seem to have a hobbit and wolf at silly point.

Are the ICC going to get involved? I mean come on.....

gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/largeImage?workNumber=NG200&collectionPublisherSection=work

And this are amongst my favourites at the National:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/largeImage?workNumber=NG1909&collectionPublisherSection=work

Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think having a gorse bush as wicket keeper might offer some advantages in terms of mobility compared to Paul Nixon, but I doubt it will quite match his batting average.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Whoever did the first one had some money behind him, gt. Who is it? Blue paint was made from lapis lazuli that you could only get in Afghanistan. Maybe he was as rich as Richard II or whoever commissioned this, another treasure of the National Gallery:

-

That second painting, Delaroche's of Lady Jane Grey, it's a wonderful moment he's chosen, and very sharp. But, seeing we started with Delacroix, I reckon he might have done it better, with some striking colour and those odd figures he does. Delaroche is fairly late for what he is and I'm not sure he's pushed painting forward really.

[ 27.03.2007, 00:26: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubby, that first one is Sassoferetto and the point about the blue paint is well made. The Wilton Diptych you've put up plays the same trick - it also happens to be my favourite picture in the National, and indeed, I'm sitting here at home looking at a print of it on my wall as I type this.

As for the Delaroche, fair point, he may not have pushed painting forward much, but the title of this thread is what art has impressed you recently. That picture never fails to impress me, and I saw it again just the other day. The compassion being shown to her just before they execute her is *so* jarring.

Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Yeah, that's all fair comment. I shouldn't blame someone for not doing what I imagine a different painter would do.

It's interesting when you get painters doing scenes from foreign countries histories.

[ 27.03.2007, 00:40: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

gt3
Member # 1591

That's it isn't it? - it's a French painter painting a seminal (?) moment in English history.
Villain
Member # 468

Now that last picture is a scene from England v France in the six nations.

This was when France surrendered the grand slam by handing over the body of christ. Might have been a forward pass, mind. The england flag is being held by a bloke in white (mostly obscured)who may have been off side.

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC