This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that Picabia fellow. Keep these coming.

More Friedrich: Monk By The Sea. He beat David Bowie to it.

-

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
'Interieur', Joan Miro (1893-1983)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
'Naissance de l'Univers' (1933) by Antoine Pevsner (1886-1962)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

'SPLATCH', Sunamori, 2006

I can't quite describe why I like this one so much. It's got a very haunting quality.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Friedrich: The Chasseur In The Forest. French soldier looking lost and insignificant, a clear reference to the expulsion of Napoleon's occupying troops from "Germany". Germans like their forests.

-

Reminds me of Altdorfer's much earlier, ahead of its time St George:
 -

[ 16.07.2007, 12:39: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Zaha Hadid show at The Design Museum the other day. It absolutely blew my head off. She's the ultimate artist-architect, but she's proved that cliche about her work being great on paper but 'unbuildable' to be completely wrong. I'm so excited that she's doing the swimming pool pavillion for London 2012. But what I'm most excited about is her Guangzhou Opera House, which is close to completion. My wife's family are from Guangzhou, so we're going to go over there and see it at some point in the next couple of years.

Exhibition info here.

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'SPLATCH', Sunamori, 2006

I can't quite describe why I like this one so much. It's got a very haunting quality.

I'd agree with ME on this one. There is something in the expression the artist has portrayed in the half-glimpsed eyes of the subject, a disdainful, dismissive lack of compassion towards the person she is despatching, that betrays somehow the emotional torment that is welling up inside as she carries out what must be a necessary but still desperate act.

All that, and what a fantastic set of knockers.

[ 16.07.2007, 16:09: Message edited by: Rogin the Divorcee ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to this Roy Liechtenstein exhibition in Paris on Saturday. There was lots of stuff of his that I'd never seen before, such as this TinTin :

-

this :

-

and this :

-

which I've now got on a mug. (Except for the Spanish bit at the bottom.)

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Lichtenstein is great. I went to the exhibition at the Hayward a couple of years ago and bought a copy of this one:

-

Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't dislike Lichtenstein, but there's something that niggles me about it. For my money, a blown up panel of a Jack Kirby comic strip would generally be more interesting. I don't find that he's really doing much with the comic panel idea other than sticking one in a frame. That on its own is fairly arresting, I'll grant you, but there's not a whole lot else going on, for me.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case I'd recommend the exhibition that I went to see. There was very little, if any, of the standard stuff, and it included a number of his original sketches, so you could see how things came about. Trouble is the book to go with it is in French...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

-
'La Couseuse', 1910

-
'La Noce', 1911

-
'Les Disques Dans La Ville', 1920

Fernand Léger, 1881-1955

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heading home from the South bank last night, like Pants I was blown away by the Gormley figures that are dotted around the skyline ("Event Horizon"). It's astonishingly eerie, you glance in any direction and you'll see a pinprick figure on a distant building.

You need to see it in person, really, but this picture gives some impression-  -

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Zaha Fucking Hadid. Oh look, I designed a building that no-one can build! How ahead of my time am I! No, architects are supposed to design buildings that people can build You want to meet an architect who's an artist. How about this mediocrity then?

-

I have a personal reason for disliking her which may be operative in my opinion here.

What SSS said about Lichtenstein, exactly. Can I blow up Herge and put him in a gallery? I know I can put a urinal in a gallery if I want, but I like Herge more than Lichtenstein.

-

[ 17.07.2007, 19:11: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Everett Shinn

This is in the Palmer Art Museum at PSU, about five blocks from the house I grew up in. As a kid, I always found this one to be sort of spooky.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC