This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<applause for Villain>
Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite impressed by Monet's Turneresque paintings of the Thames in the Royal Academy's exhibition. I mean, they're not a patch on Turner himself, but they're pretty good paintings nonetheless.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate the kind of art in Tubby's first post.

Gaudy, non-real, melodramatic rubbish.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But anyway, here's something that I saw today, and liked.

-

Julian Opie - Imagine That You Are Driving

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Delacroix for the exact reason SR hates him: that mad over-the-topness. I'd never taken SR, till now, as an opponent of the gaudy and melodramatic...
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Cheers.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was meant as a compliment.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're so cultured
Like you weren't thinking the same thing.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Well, you know, I see 'gaudy' as a negative (and, say, 'colourful' as a positive), likewise melodramatic/dramatic.

That Delacroix stuff just looks like someone's vomited on the canvas. And I know that paint was quite perishable in those days and the colours might have faded over time, but look at the nicotine yellow on the horse's mane, also used for the clouds. Blehhh.

To me, the grotesque clutter of those historical tableaux just speaks of the scarcity of canvas: "We don't have a lot of space, so we're gonna cram everything into this one frame."

I'm mindful of the folly of dismissing all pre-1860 art as merely points on the learning curve, and not just because I'm scared of people considering me 'uncultured' or whatever. (Fuck it, I actually like some of that stuff.)

But I'm also not scared to dismiss most of it thus.

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Yeah, I know you're a neophile, art-wise.

I'm certainly not a neophobe, but I'm not really a fan of the cool-and-clean aesthetic of the Opie painting. (I much prefer Dali, actually.) I think I have a bit of a taste for the melodramatic really, or at least the emotionally overwrought. Caravaggio, Goya, them lot.

I know what you mean about clutter, though, in the first painting. The best of Tubby's three, for me, is probably the third, for all its vulgar orientalism.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, rather like Hogarth, the composition is a bit of a mess. But for me the colour is so good it holds it all together, and it kind of attracts and repels. It's interesting what painters make of the East too.

SR, El Greco? It's hard to believe that eg Toledo was done 1860.

I like Julian Opie's portraits and I like that road up there.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gaudy, non-real, melodramatic rubbish.
Et tu, Dalí fan?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Even though they often contain a large number of objects, there's actually a lot of space in Dali's paintings.

And I was hoping I wouldn't need to spell out the distinction between 'surreal' and 'non-real', but anyway... Tubby's paintings are presented as true (if obviously heroic) historical depictions, but I just look at them and think "That never happened, and if it did, it didn't happen like that." That's what I mean by non-real. Attempts at realism which are completely unconvincing.

With Dali, however, the style of his paintings is (in most cases) utterly realistic. It is what they are depicting which is not. That's why they work.

Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thought Delacroix set out to be realistic though. It's highly and deliberatley idealised isn't it?

I think realism is really quite a modern thing, you know. I always thought it started with Manet.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Also, the sheer ugliness. Yeuch. Tubby, do you have prints of that stuff on the walls of your flat? It's garish and hideous and overblown. It's like the Last Night Of The Fucking Proms in paint form.
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC