This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's more like Beethoven's Fifth in paint form, really. Which you wouldn't have on as background music, any more than you'd use Delacroix as decor.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think SR's said everything I think on this thread.

The best stuff I've seen recently was a lovely piece of textured art that was on sale in a hotel in Cape Town. We ended up buying it (it was stupidly cheap), and it has just shipped over and been put up on our wall. It's clean and crisp and playful and has an airfix model in it. I have no idea what the name of the artist is.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he did either. It's stylized but there seems to be something fairly new and striking in this style. I don't think Atilla would have been painted like that by anyone else. Funny that I like what SR hates, the colour, which holds that third picture altogether for me, and looks a bit like Rubens, but the figures are altogether more dramatic.

How about Delacroix's most famous image of 1848, SR?

-

Realism meaning things looking exactly like they do to our eyes, possibly the Dutch still life painters did that first, like Kalf. Realistic history painting, that's more difficult.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's rightly his most famous one. I love the Turneresque background, from the fog of which the revolutionaries emerge.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't help myself being impressed by this when I saw it recently:

-

Ingres: Portrait of Napoléon on the Imperial Throne

It's meant to - and does - impress you so much that you walk away with a concave cranium.

It's part of the Citizens and Kings exhibition that's on at the RA at he moment. Subtitled "Portraits in the Age of Revolution, 1760—1830", the exhibition was a bit of a disappointment inasmuch as it made hardly anything of the purported context. There was nothing to bring out the effects of the revolutionary climate on the contemporary art. Now, perhaps there wasn't any discernable effect on techniques and modes of presenting the subject, but even this would have been a reasonable conclusion if the exhibition had been constructed to make the point. As it is, it's just a bunch of portaits that were painted at roughly the same time as each other, and that's that.

But there are a couple of startling pieces on display. There's this self-portait sculture in lead by Franz Messerschmidt, which was made in 1779 but looks as if it belongs to the 1930s:
 -

And this, by Gericault but looking for all the world like it could have been painted by Balthus oh, twenty years ago:

-

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gericault's excellent from what I've seen of him, and linked by Clark with Delacroix he says is his "spiritual heir", though I'm not sure why. G's portraits of the mentally ill are remarkably penetrating.

Those kids don't look sexualized enough for Balthus.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Realism meaning things looking exactly like they do to our eyes,
I've never been sure what this is supposed to mean. Even photorealism is more a comment upon the impossibility of doing this than anything else...

I suppose this is part of the reason I'm such a neophile about art.

btw, did anyone see that Rothko that David Rockefeller is auctioning for (I think) $47 million? I like Rothko, a lot, and I'm not doing the "aren't art prices ridiculous, why, a five-year-old child could draw that" thing, but...

it's not actually very good, is it?

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those kids don't look sexualized enough for Balthus.
Well, I meant it more in terms of the style, the expressions, the slightly wrong proportions of the figures and so on. And there's something a bit disturbing about it somehow, don't you think?

[ 27.03.2007, 17:46: Message edited by: Andy C ]

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Toro, yeah, I suppose mean basically as in a photo in appearance. Dali, SR's example, does this remarkably well. Dutch painters like Kalf, I think, took more care over appearances than anyone before. Kenneth Clark links this sort of painting with Dutch materialism and says "this was the sort of art they were bound to get. Well, they also got Rembrandt!"

Andy, yes there is something disturbing. I agree.

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not actually very good, is it?

Probably is but you have to be there with it to know for sure.

Art reproduction — be it print, web, whatever — plays all painting false and it does for Rothko worse than almost anyone. I mean we all know colour and scale matter but blithely ignore the fact most of the time. The Rothkos the Tate holds, which are the only ones I've spent any extended time with, are truly sublime in the classical sense. I'm someone who finds it extremely hard to meditate but sit me in front of those and I'm surfing the beta waves in seconds and you'll have to send out a search party to bring me back.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I do know what you mean, but...

-

Hmmm. "White Center"? More like "Shite Center"...

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has aiatl got your computer again?
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Hee. No, I had his, only it wasn't his, it was #10's girlfriend's sister's...
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. "White Center"? More like "Shite Center"...

But judging it from that pic is like me reading Lao Tzu with my two feeble years of modern Chinese: woeful at best, totally inaccurate at worst.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure how that is going to translate into anything particularly revelatory in the flesh.

Rockefeller himself says he never really liked it, just bought it to keep his collection advisor happy, and pretty much forgot about it until someone told him how much it had risen in value (he bought it for about $50,000, I think), and decided to sell.

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC