This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. That helps a great deal in understanding the other work.

Tubby, just saw your itinerary question above. You can fly to any of Boston, NY, Philly or Washington and takes train between them. Roughly 5 hours Boston to NY and 3 and half NY to DC. Chicago is the outlier, as one needs to fly.

As to how much time, it depends on what else you are interested in doing.in the various cities. The Philly and Boston museums are a day if doing nothing else, but if you go to Boston yoi should try to go to the Gardner and maybe the Fogg, and if you make it to philly, you should see if you could get into the Barnes Foundation.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Time by Goya. Brilliantly executed but a bitterly cruel painting and hard to look at for any length of time. Because most of my female family and friends are coming to terms with aging something I genuinely believe is far more traumatic for women than for men I detect genuine malice here, sadism even. "Que Tal?" Well obviously they aren't, pathetic creatures eh?

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unflinching but less cruel- Giorgione, Col Tempo (With Time):

-

Old Giorgione doesn't have that much attributed to him now, but I don't think this one is contested. Interesting because it's got a Northern European quality.

[ 12.03.2008, 22:03: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this from the National Gallery- attributed to Quentin Massys (who was northern). It is less cruel than Amor's Goya:

-

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Massys I'm familiar with. In my teens I had a postcard of it in my room, mainly because it reminded me of a Harvey Kurtzman/Mad magazine illustration, still does for that matter. But I've never have guessed the Giorgione. I'm no expert but it seems really remarkable in its realism to me for an Italian painting of the period.

[ 13.03.2008, 03:23: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Montreal has some good street art:
 -

the bigger version shows some pretty neat details:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_uj/1891053194/sizes/o/

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

That's remarkably good, Linus. After considering the Cable Street mural (posted by Not Me a couple of pages ago) I started wondering if there is a general problem with murals feeling static. This mural of yours has stopped me wasting time on this thought.

Amor, remarkable, isn't it? Do you know much about Antonio da Messina? He's another Italian who could easily be a Northerner. Portraits, but also this St Jerome, I think:

-

Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it reminded me of a Harvey Kurtzman/Mad magazine illustration
The recurrent freckled kid one (the only thing I'd recognise about Mad Magazine):

-

If so, I think I can see what you mean.

And Tubby: I'll give you the tube train, but that... thing to the left of it has about as much motion as the Lambeth housing list. The Cable Street one's way feistier.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

Tubby: Not much, he's not in Vasari I don't think. That is one of the classic perspective paintings of the Italian Renaissance of course. Maybe Ursus knows more.

Not me: Yeah, Alfred E. Neuman the kid was Kurtzman, or at least he retrieved the original from a nineteenth century advertisement and redrew him. He developed that hyper-realistic slightly grotesque caricature style that pretty much defined Mad's look in its 50s-60s heyday.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a very large de Messina exhibition in Rome in the last two years that I didn't get to see. He is undergoing a bit of a rebirth of interest lately, but I think that is at least in part out of a sense that the more well known artists "have been done before".

I find the one above overly technical and academic, a visual Paganini of sorts, but then I am tired and have to get up in four hours, so it isn't the best time for be to be making aesthetic judgments.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I like this, though I'm buggered for an eloquent explanation of why.

It's by Nikolai Getman.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

It's great stuff and I'm as speechless as you in front of it. Feel free to stick up pictures and titles only, if you want.

I wish I'd seen that da Messina exhbition, Ursus. I agree with you about that picture. I'm reminded of what Vasari said (or what I think he said- can Amor verify?) about Uccello, that he'd have been a good painter if he hadn't been so obsessed with perspective. I imagine Mrs da Messina (Ok she wouldn't have been called that) getting into bed and finding her husband had drawn convergent lines all over the best sheets.

Still he looks an interesting artist. Wikipedia has this crucifixion from Antwerp by him on his page:

-

Can anyone find an earlier crucifixion with either bendy wood or a non-frontal view?

[ 20.03.2008, 10:53: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my head-cold doesn't drag me down any further, I'll be going to the DuChamp/Man Ray/Picabia exhibition at the Tate Modern this evening. With luck I'll see something that I feel inspired to post an image of on this thread.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and like Tubby's offering, a day early:

-

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

Does this count as non-frontal? It's hard to say.

-

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC