This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What art has impressed you lately? (Page 34)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: What art has impressed you lately?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's that funny yellow chap with what looks like red shades and a big smile? I know I shouldn't be bothered that I don't get everything in a Picasso but still.

Christopher Nevinson is a favourite of quite a few people here, I think. Here's "French Troops Resting". He's perhaps usually associated with movement but his Cubist-lite style works very well here, real sense of dehumanisation, and an effective pallet:

-

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's that funny yellow chap with what looks like red shades and a big smile? I know I shouldn't be bothered that I don't get everything in a Picasso but still.

According to John Richardson it's Mithra: — god of light and wisdom. He, and other art historians, have spent a good deal of time trying to identify all the characters, and even wondering whether the painting is in fact a crucifixion at all (Anthony Blunt thought it was a deposition.) Of course Picasso wasn't going to say anything (beyond calling the gamblers at the bottom right "art-dealers.") I'm beginning to believe he created this kind of large scale iconographical work just to take the piss out of academics and critics — he disliked the curatoriat almost as much as dealers — but then, of course, there's the tear-your-guts-apart power of Guernica...

[ 22.03.2008, 16:33: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah cheers.

I've not really got into Anthony Blunt yet. His prose seems surprisingly dry- surprising in terms of the stereotypes I put in my own mind about him, anyway.

[ 24.03.2008, 13:03: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read any of his stuff but he's cited a lot. I find it hard to see his name without instantly being reminded of his other career.

Here's another Crucifixion by P.P.:

-

Based on the centre panel of Grünewald's Isenheim altar-piece:

-

I've been driving myself slightly mad trying to see what Picasso reimagined from the Grünewald. Until now I'd never really looked at his "bone" period/style stuff, but I'm finding it appeals to me a lot. There's a real comic-book feel to a good deal of it. In the engraving above there's supposedly a safety-pin holding up Christ's loincloth, but I can't find it. 'Course I can't find Christ either if it comes to that.

[ 24.03.2008, 19:41: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sculptor Cal Lane does some great things out of ordinary metalic objects:

-

-

Sculpture from metal can:
 -

http://www.callane.com/works.html

[ 25.03.2008, 19:01: Message edited by: linus ]

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC