This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Provincial England 2007 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Provincial England 2007
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But E10! What about all those poor affluent middle classes who pushed the porperty prices through the roof within the catchment area of any decent schools ? What will they do if Daisy or Jake don't get into their school? Surely the ability to buy your way in should count for something?!
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, there's never, ever been a better comment on Tory and New Labour 'parental choice' ideas than this sketch
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it should.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will vote for the Party which addresses my concerns about coal and carrot prices best.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of voting Green in Brighton, but am wavering as they were/are against the Falmer stadium. Am I being unreasonable? I don't want to vote Labour, but for (the usual) national reasons. Am I making a local electoral mistake?

Unconvinced by the Greens, my girlfriend (in Hove) is thinking of voting Lid Dem. They're normally very unpleasant on a local level aren't they?

(Apologies for my evident ignorance here).

Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does strike me that the objections to Falmer are based on a quite outdated form of green nimbyism.

You might want to ask your local Green candidates where they stood during the battles for the Goldstone 10 years ago. No point asking the Lib Dems of course, since Brighton's duplicitous chief exec at the time was one.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The greens have been poor on the Falmer issue. What it comes down to me is that in an ideal world, you shouldn't build it there. But that ideal world was fucked by Archer, Bellotti, and the Council at the time (take a bow, Ivor Caplin). The geography of the city means that there's bugger all land for that sort of development, so it's the least worst option. Ultimately then, if you want a city to have a team with a good stadium, then it has to be supported, however reluctantly. To be against is essentially a slow death for the club.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of an alternative venue within the town and struggling. It does seem somewhat absurd that they can find the space for a dog track, a county cricket ground and a racecourse, but not a football ground. They should approach Whitehawk, and offer to redevelop there. The area is a dump, but it has pretty good access.

Other than that, the only place I can think of is the brownfield site at Shoreham, but that's a different council.

[ 27.04.2007, 12:45: Message edited by: 200percent ]

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Say No To Vorderman
Member # 1534

- posted      Profile for Just Say No To Vorderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more than likely be voting Liberal as usual unless there's actually a candidate i want to vote for..not had any shite through the door from any of the parties so i'll find out my options at the polling booth...fucking labour heartland up here though...we managed to kick the labour cunts off the council last time but not in my ward :-(..my mp is a blair arse licker who had a 20,000 majority in 97..down to about 12,000 now but we'll never get rid of him...democracy sucks and there should be some sort of intelligence and knowledge test before folk are allowed to vote...imho :-)
Posts: 1735 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite agree...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liberals again in Central Manchester. Only party with a cat in hell's chance of beating Labour, so really the only especially useful protest vote available.

I mean, I already know they won't actually win, but I'd at least like it to be uncomfortable for Labour.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

I know some decent Labour lefties in Manchester (one of whom recently tried and failed to get the Withington parliamentary seat selection) - though it's possible of course that they're the only Labour lefties in Manchester
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No local elections in Oxford this year - it's our year off...
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

Early talk that the BNP vote has gone down a tad.

Anyone stopping up for a bit, to watch this, like a sad political anorak? I am.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, go on then. I can't look at the computer and the TV at the same time, mind.

Good news.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC