This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Posh(ish) resturants in Manchester (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Posh(ish) resturants in Manchester
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a right classy restaurant in central Manchester, to which I can take m'lovely wife on the evening of our 10th wedding anniversary next week. Nowhere too haughty, you understand, or prohibitively overpriced. I'm thinking fetchingly sophisticated with an air of accessible grandeur.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not vegerarian, and fancy an excellent steak I can recommend the Gaucho Grill.
Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take her on the tram thing out to Juniper in Altrincham.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm vegetarian.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jupp04
Member # 165

- posted      Profile for Jupp04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need new glasses.
Should have wondered about Polish restaurants in Manchester

Posts: 993 | From: Small country with big mountains and big money | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cafe Lech's shut down. That was a decent Polish restaurant.

I'd have suggested Juniper too, but as you're a bloody hippie then I'm at a total loss as to what to suggest.

Greens in Didsbury, Simon Rimmer's haunt, is excellent, but a cab ride (or 42 bus) out.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would underline Dalliance idea, Juniper is quite an experience and I'm sure they'll cater for you wonderfully Easy.

Simply Heathcote in town centere is quite good, went there once and I enjoyed it.

The Market Restaurant in the Northern Quarter is a lovely place, deligthfully quaint 40's atmosphere and excellent food.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
deligthfully quaint 40's atmosphere
Bomb shelter or rationing coupons?
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, just the music and decoration really, the food is very much up to date too.

Mulberry Tree outside Wigan is well worth the visit says my missus btw.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gnasher Of Teeth
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for The Gnasher Of Teeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The restaurant above Harvey Nicks is good. Slightly pricey, but good. If I do get an evening up in Manchester, it's usually first choice of restaurants.

There's also a pub not far from Deansgate which do the best Steak puddings (not pies) in the world. If anyone can furnish me with the name of that place, I'd be eternally grateful.

Posts: 69 | From: Herts | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably Mr Thomas' Chop House on Cross Street. Market Tavern is a very good recommendation, as is Juniper although it's a major hike if you've to get a train home afterwards. Isinglass in Urmston is also excellent and has just the atmosphere you're looking for but it's 15 minutes by cab from town.
Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God yes, Isinglass, but going there as a wedgie would be such a waste.
Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

The missus also reminds me of the restaurant in the Urbis centre.

I've yet to try Isinglass but I've been told many good things about it. I wonder if gourmet regional OTFers ought to organise a little trip there...?

GIK
Member # 40

Yuri, it's splendid. The charcouterie plate I devoured a week or so ago was heaven, there was a dried mutton 'ham' (I suppose) that was just amazing.
Member # 19

Mmmmmm...I've got a few places to try out at the moment. My missus also assures me that Carluccio's at the Trafford Centre is worth the visit (their risotto is nearly as good as mine she says, high praise indeed!)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC