This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Ever seen a shooting star? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ever seen a shooting star?
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That eclipse - the week before it, my ex and I had gone to Cornwall for a week, but then returned to her place, in Hull, for the next week and it was from there that we witnessed the eclipse.

It was a bright and clear-ish day - a few fluffy clouds around. When it came to eclipse time, we realised that we didn't have anything we could watch it through, so we had to improvise ...by using a couple of Monster Munch packets each, opened out and held up to the sun! They did the trick, in that they made the eclipse easily viewable, but I'm uncertain if there's been any exhaustive research on the abilities of Monster Munch packets - even at double thickness - to filter harmful ultraviolet rays.

There was a really noticeable temperature drop when it happened, even though it was only something like a 75% eclipse. I'm glad I was there, rather than in Cornwall, as I found the partial eclipse every bit as interesting as a full one.

[ 13.08.2007, 12:07: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used crisp packets as well and I'm fine.

The partial eclipse was cool, the light was eerie, like being on Mars or something.

[ 13.08.2007, 12:08: Message edited by: bryannavaro ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a shooting star on Saturday night and I wasn't even aware all this was happening. It helped that I was out in the Kent countryside and away from the light pollution of London.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's a really interesting premise actually Day of the Triffids, in that they actually could have invaded in the 1950s but even by the early 80s I remember thinking that loads of people would just not even bother looking at it.

The triffids and the meteor shower weren't dierctly connected.

The triffids were GMOs created on Earth, and it was believed the meteor(ites) had possibly taken out attack satellites, specifically designed to destroy the "enemies" eyesight.

Once everyone was blind, the triffids escaped from their farms.

(And the film with Howard Keel was even more spectacularly shit than the television series. "They dissolve in sea-water". Pah!)

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My point still stands though. Not enough people would be blind to make the big weeds a threat.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Partial eclipses are rubbish compared to total eclipses. But then total eclipses under a clear sky are the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

Saw the 1999 eclipse in the Champagne region, just north of Rheims. Had a group of friends in a minibus, and we drank a couple of magnums, ate a picnic in a disused church, and saw baileys beads and shadow bands, and the crescent shadows and that whole wildlife going mad thing; and the thinninsh clouds cleared as the temperature dropped and I assume some moisture condensed out, or something, so minutes before totality we suddenly had clear skies.

[ 13.08.2007, 13:12: Message edited by: Lardinho ]

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I saw one over Leicester.
I thought that's a meteorite and I'll ring the museum thinking it was pretty special.
A bloke there said 'Oh yes, it's in a field near Rugby'. Oh well...

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film of Day of the Triffids is arguably more unintentionally hilarious than Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's one of the best pissed films of all time.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had a brief watch at my bedroom window, when I went to bed at about 1am. I saw four in about 20 minutes - strangely almost in pairs
"I wished on them, but they were only satellites..."
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used crisp packets as well and I'm fine.
Wow! makeshift eye protection, impromptu contraception, is there any use the humble crisp packet can't be adapted to?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC