This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Smoking a pipe. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Smoking a pipe.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OTF, the real international centre/center for life long learning.

Amor, it really is spelled with a "y" in American; trust me.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my great-uncles used to blow smoke rings when pipe smoking, which amused my cousins and me no end. He looked a lot like Leonid Brezhnev, but my mother always shushed me if I mentioned it, because my Polish relatives always made a point to differentiate themselves from Russians.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coffy has Polish relatives?

I never would have known that from your profile.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a humorous (I hope) profile based on my username. In real life, I'm multiethnic.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

To be honest, I never looked at it until today, when I was trying to find where we had talked about a Philly team in MLS.

And yes, I think it is funny.

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it really is spelled with a "y" in American; trust me.

Why, or more pertinently "y"?

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Because we aren't very good at languages?
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The high-pressure hose at the garbage truck shed did all of those cleaning steps in about two seconds.

Sacrilege! Apostate! Anti-Christ! <makes sign of cross with fingers> Water should never, ever be in the presence of a mature pipe. It kills it stone dead. The inside of the bowl is a living organism, achieving maximum "ripeness" is, I understand, one of the pure pleasures of smoking. It takes several weeks to get past the "green" stage, before the tars of the tobacco have mingled with the wood sap to create a perfect flavour. It then lasts for only a few more weeks before the bowl becomes too hot and the taste too acrid.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

When I was rowing, the team sheets used to be posted in the window of a tobacconist that had opened in the 18th century.

The guy who owned used to say stuff like that with some regularity.

Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't clear. It wasn't a water hose, it's an air hose. It blew air out somewhere between 100-300 psi, I'd reckon, although I don't recall. I think it's real function was to somehow assist in the cleaning of certain power tools and, with a different attachment, filling up tires.

However, I'm sure purists would reject that as well as it might dry it out too much.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that smoking a pipe could take off again, in the wake of 'the smoking ban'? You know - the potentially bigger 'hit' from an unfiltered pipe full of tobacco meaning that you don't have to go outside into the pissing Summer rain or winter blizzards so often?

You might also smell faintly of raw tobacco, from putting the pipe back into your jacket pocket all the time, which could mean you'd get attractive women coming up to you and asking if they could sniff you - well, your jacket anyway - while you stand there, chatting to your friends at the bar!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

Trying to light a pipe in the rain is like walking backwards up a downward moving escalator though.

[ 22.08.2007, 03:14: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I always liked the smell, and associate it with domestic tranquillity.
I know exactly what you mean. My father used to smoke a pipe (and cigars) before stopping sometime in the early eighties.

Brookes And Brookes, Rotherham's leading tobacconist has just shut down, after a hundred years of business.

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only independent shop in Exeter High Street is a tobacconist. It's probably gone for I know.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is something really pleasant about the smell of pipe tobacco. For some reason I associate it with christmas even though no-one in my family smoked. (probably read to much victorian and edwardian childrens literature) I have a similar attitude to Cigars as well.

It just leads you to wonder, if that is what tobacco smells like, what exactly do they put in cigarettes?

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC