This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » McCann's 11 hour interview (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: McCann's 11 hour interview
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, it's how my Nan used to talk.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COTB; this thread could be about many things, it could be about the re-interviewing of the mother, it could be about progress towards catching the criminal, it could be about Portuguese police procedure.

Where it becomes objectionable in my view, is when the parents are blamed or there is speculation about their possible villainy. That stuff is just crass, it's just kicking victims while they are down however many steps removed they may be.

If I, or anyone else says they think this kind of comment is objectionable, the answer "well don't read it then" is just asinine. There are many other directions this thread might take.

Honestly, I think this board deserves better than "If you don't like it then go away" type claptrap.

[ 07.09.2007, 17:17: Message edited by: Sgt. Pinback ]

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When she was alive, like. Less so recently.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Can I suggest that if people don't like our posts about how objectionable this is, they don't read them?
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good comeback. I didn't say I didn't like them, I just said I wasn't impressed. I am hard to impress though

quote:
It's not that it's "totally off limits for discussion", it's that this half-arsed "Yerrrs, well, I had my suspicions you know" stuff is pathetic.
As it happens, I agree with you and Pinback but I scroll through them to the interesting ones. I don't think they shouldn't be posted just because I don't agree with them
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

That's not my reason either.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally agree with Pinback, too, and thank him for taking the time to explain in some detail what it is on the thread that is troubling him. It is very helpful in trying to move the discussion forward.

That said, I think that there have been different interpretations on here about what constitutes "blaming the parents".

There were a number of posts on the first thread that held that raising the question of whether leaving a 3 year old alone for that period was reasonable behaviour was "blaming the parents". I didn't agree with that then, and I don't agree with that now.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's not my reason either.
Nor mine. I don't think "Urgh, I wish I didn't have to read this stuff", I think "What the hell is wrong with you people?"
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boffin2
Member # 2140

- posted      Profile for boffin2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COTB; this thread could be about many things, it could be about the re-interviewing of the mother, it could be about progress towards catching the criminal, it could be about Portuguese police procedure.

Where it becomes objectionable in my view, is when the parents are blamed or there is speculation about their possible villainy. That stuff is just crass, it's just kicking victims while they are down however many steps removed they may be.

If I, or anyone else says they think this kind of comment is objectionable, the answer "well don't read it then" is just asinine. There are many other directions this thread might take.

Honestly, I think this board deserves better than "If you don't like it then go away" type claptrap.

Great post from Sergeant Pinback, though I disagree with his final paragraph in one respect. I'd say it's worse than claptrap. It's censorship.

I would only add that, for me, the key is that The McManns could be members of this board. Yeah! Members come in for some pretty round abuse at times. I have! But the insinuation that you might, somehow, be implicated in the murder of your own child elevates the level to a whole different (sinister) plane. You should only level such accusations when you're ultra sure of your facts. All we have here is highly inconclusive and contradictory conjecture.

Posts: 310 | From: Portsmouth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McCANN NEW EVIDENCE: PARENTS BICKERED WITH STRANGERS ON INTERNET WHILE CHILD SLEPT
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boffin2
Member # 2140

- posted      Profile for boffin2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a number of posts on the first thread that held that raising the question of whether leaving a 3 year old alone for that period was reasonable behaviour was "blaming the parents". I didn't agree with that then, and I don't agree with that now.

From my own recollection of that discussion, UA, I don't think you've done full justice to the nature of the objection. As I recall, there was a broad measure of agreement that leaving the children was not wise, sensible or the epitome of responsible parenting. But I recall some people felt that it was not reasonable to blame the children's abduction on the decision to leave them unsupervised.

Posts: 310 | From: Portsmouth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My recollection is that the thread was too much all over the place for there to really be a broad measure of agreement on anything, but I do agree with your last point as being a position that a number of people took (and one that I don't have a particuar issue with).

I have to say that I am not convinced at all by your McCanns on OTF point.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
McCANN NEW EVIDENCE: PARENTS BICKERED WITH STRANGERS ON INTERNET WHILE CHILD SLEPT
<runs upstairs to check on sleeping kids>
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the kiddie was accidently killed there is no reason whatsoever to hide the fact and attempt to hide a body in the short while available.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't buy the whole parents angle. It doesn't pass the stink test. Two doctors, loving parents according to all concerned, kill (or accidentally kill) their child...and then decide to hide the body, and then it's never been turned up? And then they keep up this 'facade' of innocence for all these months instead of (quite reasonably) saying "there's nothing more we can do here, we need to get on with our lives for the sake of our other children" and fucking off back to England. It just doesn't make any sense. Yes, it's possible. But so are UFOs.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC