This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Anti-Americanism (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Anti-Americanism
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find the "duping" point to be an interesting one. I was raised in an extraordinarily sceptical household when it came to all of the things you mention. I think that is genuinely a minority experience, especially outside the Northeast and California. As a result, I never felt "duped", I just always felt mad.

The "tooth fairy" crack was a cheap shot, but was designed to convey my impression that rage of being "duped" was underlying a lot of your initial post.

You're probably right. I was not raised in the same skeptical environment re: the US. Very skeptical from a Canadian politics point of view, with a father who reliably voted against everything that was in his best interest in favour of what was in 'the' best interest. Truly, I believed the hype. I really did. And it's very likely that the naivite (sorry...I can't spell it in English) I'm angry about in myself as a youth is the same naivite that I'm angry at in grown Americans now. Fool me one time, and all that.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should have several pints some day, because I was raised to see Canada as the paragon of virtue.

I'm not shitting you; it was all part of how I was going to avoid getting sent to Vietnam to risk death in an unjust and illegal war. It's why I learned French, too.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would enjoy that. Where do you live currently?
That question informed by my experience that many, many Americans fling themselves as far as possible from where they're originally from, for some reason.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... spitting your dummies out over "soccer" and "scrimmage".
Pacifiers, you mean.

Something I have seen a certain amount of on here, actually, is people seeming to object to American usages just because they're American.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

- posted      Profile for Mr. Wind-Up Bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've no idea what this means. What anti-Americanism were we talking about then?
The ability of some posters to generalise about the motives and actions of all Americans as if they were one homogeneous bloc, rather than a diverse group like every other country. That was what my first post was about, and is how I interpreted Coffy's comments that sparked the thread.
Posts: 664 | From: The bottom of the well, holding a baseball bat | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something I have seen a certain amount of on here, actually, is people seeming to object to American usages just because they're American.
Yes, it would seem that we are more willing to adopt your usage than the other way round.

(see what I did there?)

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. "Round" instead of "around"? Just a guess.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

Well yes, because you've become 'orientated' <snicker> to the British way of speaking.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

<marathon>
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Wyatt, since "you" are the ones doing the spitting, they're dummies.

"We" don't even have the phrase. Nor do we have one about throwing toys out of baby carriages.

I think this may say something about standards of British parenting . . .

WOM, I live in Milan; it is likely to be aspirational for a while.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Excuse me, my dear fellow, what are "baby carriages"?

Etc.

WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

quote:
The ability of some posters to generalise about the motives and actions of all Americans as if they were one homogeneous bloc, rather than a diverse group like every other country. That was what my first post was about, and is how I interpreted Coffy's comments that sparked the thread.
Fair enough, but that's a real non-starter for me (except for my gag about speaking too loudly in cathedrals, etc). My opening paragraph set my bit apart from that, I thought. The last thing I wanted to do was the tar/brush affair. I mean, beyond "the Chinese have dark hair", it's tough to sum up a few hundred million in one breath, innit?
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been four times, loved the people, well most of them. Don't like their social system or government (which is their affair)and by extension their effect on the world (which is everybody's affair) but it helps if you stop regarding it as anything other than a foreign country which happens to speak a version of English.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

quote:
WOM, I live in Milan; it is likely to be aspirational for a while.

Damn. Doesn't Caliban3 live in Milan, too?
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

-
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC