This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Britain will remain indefinitely in the grip of the yardies (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Britain will remain indefinitely in the grip of the yardies
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen, everyone, I know it's petty but it's driving me up the wall with nearly everyone doing it.

It's Fahrenheit.

FaHrenheit.

Fa H renheit.

Thank you.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farhenheit?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer it my way.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see, you don't have that problem when using Celcius.
Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farnite.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only in Norn Iron.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Celcius to Fahrenheit.

FaHrenheit.

Fa H renheit.

I never knew that's how it was written though.

[ 12.09.2007, 15:35: Message edited by: Hamann ]

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with clinging to imperial measurements is that it's all very well internally (eg ordering pints in pubs and so on, putting distances between cities in the UK in miles, selling apples by the pound, etc) but it causes great hassles when you attempt to interact with everybody else. Plus it must be a hassle for people importing stuff - you buy a kilo of X and then have to repackage it in pounds to sell it on.

My biggest bugbear is (as mentioned many times before) the fucking stupidity of US paper sizes in the age of fax machines and emailed documents.

I don't find any difficulty with switching between one and the other (though I wouldn't fancy buying veg in pounds any more, and fahrenheit is a bit baffling), but then I don't actually think it's very difficult to do any of these things - like driving a right hand car one day and a left hand drive car the next, whereas people who never have to do that often think it must be really hard. It really isn't.

The switch from mpg to l/100km is the hardest one. And I still couldn't easily do it. I just know what figure represents pretty economical in both systems.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there really that much repackaging, though?

There isn't a requirement that goods sold in the UK be in even units of Imperial measurements, is there? I always thought that Illy, for instance, was just required to say that its 250g can of coffee was equal to 9 something ounces. That isn't any more of a hassle than having to have an English language label.

Can't agree with you more about paper sizes, though.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with our paper?
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem with metric is that there is no measure between a centimetre, about 3/8s inch and a metre which is 39+inches. That's why like many I am comfortable with small sizes but find it hard to visualise larger ones.
Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It f*cks up printers, fax machines, binders, envelopes and all kinds of other stuff in the more civilised world.

But I'm sure Dubya would tell us that if the US changed to A4 the terrorists would have won.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a transfinite number of measures between a centimetre and a metre.

There may be no units, but that applies in any counting system. You can talk about "decimetres" if it really helps.

[ 12.09.2007, 19:11: Message edited by: toro del fuego ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

I agree with Oalad. There is a word for 10 centimeters - decimeter, I believe, which is about the width of my hand, so that could sort of be useful, but not really.

UA, what is the paper like in your world?

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

A bit longer and narrower than 8 1/2 x 11 (but different enough to create all the problems noted above).

Used everywhere in the world except the US and Canada.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC