This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » A question for you psychology/philosophy bods ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question for you psychology/philosophy bods ...
boffin2
Member # 2140

- posted      Profile for boffin2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the word for when you feel something approaching murderous intent towards (actually) a whole group of people, despite having no personal animus towards any of them, not because of who they are, but because of what they represent?

The practitioners of the dark arts have conjured from their cauldren, over the course of about a year, a steady stream of diabolical concoctions for a firm of personal-accident lawyers. They hit you in relentless waves of about half-hour intervals, guaranteed to 'get' you at some point if you listen to the radio station any more than about an hour in a given day. Two of the last three have been a woman who always uses her mirror when she's driving to avoid getting lipstick everywhere, and some madman in a fork lift truck who tears around the warehouse at top speed mowing down all and sundry.

There was a blessed interlude of about a month or so before the latest hideous creation to hit us: some instructor in the use of dangerous machinery who, with luck, will rip open his jugular vein, bleed to death and leave us all, once more, in peace.

Yet I'm sure, if I met any of these people individually, I'd find them very personable and pleasant. Still, I loathe and detest the lot.

There must be a word for it, surely?

Posts: 310 | From: Portsmouth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you talking about?
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boffin2
Member # 2140

- posted      Profile for boffin2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, a series of radio ads for a firm of personal-injury lawyers.
Posts: 310 | From: Portsmouth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my stab: someone's cranking out a load of bad tv spots for a firm of ambulance chasers, and boffin's getting ready to go postal on either:
a) the ad firm that produced them
b) the actual firm of lawyers
...due to the hatred the tv spots manufactured.

And he's conflicted by it all...or something.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'll assume they're of the "well get you cash for your pain and suffering" variety that comes across the border from Buffalo.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boffin2
Member # 2140

In a nutshell, WOM. 'No-win, no fee .. (etc.)
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you mad ad the admen or the lawyers or both?

My understanding is that personal injury lawyers run the full spectrum from total frauds (what's a legal profession equivalent term for 'quack' that is not as anti-semetic like 'shyster?') to decent people just trying to help people who really need it get what they're properly owed.

The big one where I'm from is Edgar Snyder and Associates. He's based in Johnstown, I think, and sponors the "Edgar Snyder and Assoc. Injury Report" on the Steelers' radio broadcasts, which I always thought was a clever bit of marketing. More original than the ubiquitous "Nextel/Alltell/AT&T/Verizon Call to the Bullpen."

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

They should have a 3rd base-to-plate steal called the "Kaopectate Sprint for Home".
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"ambulance chasers"
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boffin2
Member # 2140

I confess to a certain feeling of unease about the whole modus operandi of 'no win no fee' legal representation.

But my chief grouse with these adverts is simply their sheer repetition; rather like being stuck in a room listening to the 'drip, drip' of water splashing on to a stone.

I was more querying whether there is a word for feeling animosity towards someone in the way I describe despite having no personal axe to grind with them.

But I'm perfectly happy to widen the discussion to the whole concept of no-win-no-fee legal practice (almost certainly a far more interesting topic to discuss).

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When were contingent fees legalised in the UK?

It is a relatively new development, isn't it?

Do you have any idea what the standard percentage of
"wins" paid to the lawyers is? In the US, it is one-third.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

No win/no fee is a mixed blessing, really.

It lowers the barrier of entry to people who otherwise couldn't afford to sue, if they're rightfully due. It's also an incentive for the lawyers to win, instead of just taking their retainer and putting in a half-assed effort.

On the flipside, it means the losing cases are subsidized by the outrageous percentage taken from the plaintiffs in the winning ones.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

There can also be a nefarious chilling effect on plaintiffs' lawyers being willing to take on cases that are not clear "winners" (though in the US that tends to translate into "cases as to which insurers are unwilling to pay up".

The UK still doesn't have class actions, does it? Contingent fees in those can become truly obscene.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does this have to do with philosophy?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

It's always all about you, isn't it?

[insert smiley thing]

He was looking for a term, and you lot seem to have quite a few that you don't really use.

[id.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC