This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » His money was only resting in her account... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: His money was only resting in her account...
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens in Ireland if you lie to a tribunal and get found out?
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You get to be in the government, normally, no?
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bertie will quietly fuck off in another 18 months or so. The general election has been won, he's had more than ten years in office as Taoiseach, he's not getting any younger (56 yesterday) -- all in all, soon it will be time for him to put on some comfortable shoes and make a bit of serious money on the lecture circuit.

But he isn't going to be forced out over this. Paramount in his mind is that he will not give his enemies what they most desire, i.e. his humiliation and head on a silver platter.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From having read the relevant bits of the Mahon tribunal, it's fairly clear that, according to the bank records at least, the money deposited couldn't have been Sterling. Ahern said it was Sterling. So it's Ahern's word (since today, officially) vs AIB's bank records.

At what point does the shit hit the fan? These two conflicting accounts of events can't exist side by side. I don't understand how the media/justice/revenue can leave this up in the air.

[ 13.09.2007, 19:46: Message edited by: bryannavaro ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The media aren't leaving it alone, Ahern's travails were the page 1 lead on all the main papers today (apart from the Irish edition of the Star calling for Stan to be sacked).

On a lighter note, is Ahern stepping out with anybody these days? I don't recall having seen him with a woman on his arm since he gave Celia Larkin the heave-ho a few years back.

Surely the prime minister should be able to pull a woman in, say, her mid-30s even at this stage in his life. Can he just not be arsed with it all any more?

[ 13.09.2007, 19:50: Message edited by: The Stroke ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't that been conclusively established for some time, though? As in before the election?

I don't get the lack of interest either, but I'm not exactly in a great position to express disdain for the political processes of other people's countries.

[ 13.09.2007, 19:57: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

Hehe, it keeps getting better:

quote:
Ms Larkin told the inquiry she did not know what Mr Ahern had done with IR£50,000 after he asked her to withdraw the sum from an AIB account she was holding it in for him in January 1995. Ms Larkin revealed Mr Ahern had driven her to the AIB branch and waited outside while she withdrew it. The recollection sparked intrigue as it is not clear if Mr Ahern had a valid driving licence at this time.

The Taoiseach stated in 2003: ďI donít have a driving licence because I donít drive. Iíve been lucky enough to have a State car for 17 or 18 years.Ē

bryanattoni
Member # 60

Jaysus, this Conor Lenihan is full of shite, he's totally Bertie's buttboy. I didn't realise there was another Lenihan.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was going to post something on the Stoke's thread.

Is there any way he could lose the vote?

This is where the Greens get their 40 pieces of silver, isn't it?

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

Bertie's sitting in there now, and the only fellas in there next to him are Willy O'Dea and Conor Lenihan. video

He's looking very lonely.

bryanattoni
Member # 60

The Green Party can go fuck off if they support a Prime Minister who takes money and then lies about it to a tribunal.

The FF defense is well, the Irish people voted for us so go screw yourselves. Of course, the tribunal was conveniently delayed until after the election.

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Conor Lenihan came into my local a few days before the election and bought everyone a pint. Auction politics at its very best.

Sadly I was too dull-witted to take full advantage of the situation and order a quadruple vodka.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bryan - the tribunal's been sitting for a long, long time. Bertie's stuff has only come up now. And part of why it has come up is that it came to light during the election campaign.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

One of our political correspondents has just walked into the newsroom and announced that Bertie got "a political drubbing" in the Dail this afternoon, with Enda Kenny giving a great speech that was full of unwelcome comparisons with the Haughey years etc etc.

But will any of it matter a damn?

bryanattoni
Member # 60

quote:
bryan - the tribunal's been sitting for a long, long time. Bertie's stuff has only come up now. And part of why it has come up is that it came to light during the election campaign
The tribunal has been sitting for 10 years. I was under the impression that he was on the verge of being called into the tribunal, and that led him to speeding down to Phoenix Park to have the election called quickly. Indeed, if the election had been called a couple of weeks later, Bertie would have been in the dock during the campaign.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC