This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » His money was only resting in her account... (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: His money was only resting in her account...
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, i've gone and edited that...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who your mate is, Shane, but this idea that Fine Gael kept quiet about the Mahon Tribunal during the 2007 general election campaign is simply out to lunch.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Greens can go fuck off. The first thing they did was send the bulldozers into the Tara Valley, fucking over cultural history and promoting carbon emissions in one swoop.

Then they introduce a new car tax bill that essentially encourages people to go out an buy new cars, while over 1/2 of a car's lifetime CO2 emissions are in the production phase.

And then they supported a resolution calling on the Mahon tribunal to "stay within its remit". That's not letting the tribunal do it's work, that's a government party openly criticising the workings of a sitting tribunal. What the Greens, blinded by power, refuse to see anymore is that the Mahon tribunal is very important from a climate change point of view. Shoddy, corrupt planning is the main reason Ireland will fail, quite spectacularly, to meet its Kyoto targets. All that urban sprawl, all those massive commutes, land speculation... those are things that have led to increased carbon emissions.

The Greens are essentially influencing fuck all beyond a bit of political tokenism and greenwashing. They are being totally played by Fianna Fail. I don't agree with the PD's policies, but there you have a party who, with a mere two seats, manage to influence government way more effectively than the Green Party.

[ 25.02.2008, 20:14: Message edited by: bryanattoni ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if i recall correctly, FG and labour made frequent mention of bertie's finances until polls began to indicate that the tactic was irritating more voters than it was winning over.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, in the televised debate between Kenny and Ahern (in which both were crap, but Ahern more of a cunt, so judged to have won), I can clearly remember Kenny saying that he wouldn't comment on the tribunal until it was finished.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the subject of the radio presenter who wanted to know what any of this had to do with quarryvale. i don't agree with you that it's partisan to ask that kind of question (though admittedly, i didn't hear the item so i can't very well judge the tone). all you are doing by asking such a question is giving the interviewee the opportunity to answer it. if the presenter had said something like "but this has nothing to do with quarryvale!" and interrupted the interviewee as they tried to answer, that would qualify as partisan.

however it is true in a general sense that the irish media is full of partisan hacks. a small elite are doing a job for which they are well rewarded, with seats in the senate &c. a more subtle problem is that many of the lower-profile hacks long to work for the other side. the public sector in ireland is in general quite well-rewarded. the government aides, advisers, press officers low- to mid-level journalists deal with every day are better paid, stay in more luxurious hotels, are driven around in nicer cars, make better contacts, and theoretically at least, play some tiny part in the real world of power and influence. it can all seem seem enviable and even glamorous to the tired and underpaid hack.

so for many journalists their careers in journalism are really prolonged auditions for careers as political aides. they aim not to hold the powerful to account, but to ingratiate themselves with the people they one day hope officially to serve. perhaps they would be more likely to impress the pols by doing their jobs properly, but why take the risk?

i remember bertie on the night FF won the last election, strolling into the RTE studios and berating the vicious and mindless media mob that had tried to rend him like rats. in reality most of them, when they hadn't a mouthful of bertie's balls, had been parroting government propaganda like "the irish people are tired of hearing about bertie ahern's private financial affairs".

[ 26.02.2008, 04:15: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

and here's the top story on this morning's irish independent - more about public sector fat cats...
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the election the tribunal was a non-issue, what mattered was that the good times keep on rolling and it seemed that Bertie was the man to do that. If the house slump hadn't started Bertie would be slapping his head and sticking his tongue out at Mahon, instead he's drifting into a perfect storm.

Corruption in the eighties - hey, everyone was at it, not just FF or else Dublin wouldn't be the way it is now. Look at the voting patterns for development and tell me there were no unwritten FF/ FG pacts.

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Their salaries come before lucrative expenses packages and allowances for offices, phones, travel and subsistence are added.
they get an allowance on top of their salary for subsistence?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

The bit on Radio 1 that pissed me off went something like this (it was a week ago now, so this is very approximate):

RTE presenter: "So, what does all this have to do with the tribunal's remit? Was Quarryvale or O'Callaghan even mentioned today?"

RTE political commentator: "No, Quarryvale or Eoghan O'Callaghan were not mentioned today, a point which Ahern's counsel have indeed being bringing up."

It wasn't until Mahon reminded everyone that investigating irregular deposits in and out of accounts has everything to do with an investigation into corruption that RTE stopped repeating this talking point.

quote:
however it is true in a general sense that the irish media is full of partisan hacks.
Just a couple of days ago on the RTE 9 o'clock news Ingrid something or another was reporting about the air traffic controllers dispute (the usual standing in front of a building with a microphone thing) and said something this: "The labour court judge could rule tomorrow to prevent the strike, which might be a good idea as having the the threat of a strike hanging over the talks wouldn't lend to a productive atmosphere."

I thought it was a very odd thing for a reporter to say.

garcia en dolor
Member # 152

thank you glen
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work by (I assume) the sometime OTFer there.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still wondering exactly how much money changed hands in order for that dreadful song to win an Oscar.

The Fianna Failers are getting desperate. The following is a quote from one of their backbench TDs given in an interview with us this week:

quote:
"The dogs on the street know it doesn't stack up, and we're reduced to saying: `Leave it to the tribunal'. He can't say that he didn't know about it [the Larkin money]. He knows everything that happens in his own constituency, and for him to say he didn't know about this is just not credible. We sound weak when we're trying to defend it."

[ 29.02.2008, 18:03: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

quote:
I'm still wondering exactly how much money changed hands in order for that dreadful song to win an Oscar.
did you see what it was up against? some really awful stuff by alan mencken - i'm not sure that songwriting for movies is in the midst of a golden age.
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

bertie secretary weeps as she admits she must have lodged 15k sterling to his account
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC