This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » A city built by gentlemen for gentlemen (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A city built by gentlemen for gentlemen
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell, with that hat, you should be remonstrated with yourself

quote:
Malta does exist! Wales must have played them before?
That is no proof. When watching Wales, I sometimes question my own existence, let alone the opposing team's
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was 1985, remember. It went well with my salmon pink pop-fasten singlet and pressed cotton leisure shorts.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds hot. I can't believe you didn't score.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pawlu
Member # 1406

- posted      Profile for pawlu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To anyone doubting Malta's existence, two words: Michael Mifsud.

Ad hoc, will send you a mail later today but, in the meantime, that tagline is actually how Sir Walter Scott described Valletta.

The city's residents have an annoying habit of referring to that description, and they also like to say that they're from Valletta "by the grace of God".

Sadly, they'v started replacing the old buses. Obviously I love my country and there are plenty of beautiful spots but, if you're staying at one of the tourist spots, the best description is that it is a permanent building site.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out that I'm actually going to Sliema, not Valletta. is that good or bad?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pawlu
Member # 1406

- posted      Profile for pawlu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, I guess.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never got your message Pawlu, sadly. Am now back from my little excursion, and I enjoyed it very much. Malta is a fascinating place historically and culturally, and it was great to see just a little of it. (Plus the meeting was very stimulating and I got to meet some great people from all over Europe and go to at least one excellent restaurant, drink some very good wine, a eat some delicious food)

The language is my favourite thing about Malta - It's sort of Arabic with Italian, French and English bits in it. The worst bit about Malta seems to be that it is full up with English pensioners who spend the entire winter there since it costs as much to live in a hotel in Malta on full board as it does to heat your house in the UK. This in itself isn't a great problem, but it's extremely depressing overhearing conversation after conversation of elderly Brits sitting around moaning about immigrants and how Malta is much better because they don't have so many.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

Valletta (where we were working) was great. Sliema (where we were staying) less great. There's also not much space in Malta. It's sort of a European Hong Kong/Singapore. It's no wonder the meat-based bit of the cuisine centres around rabbit. There's no space to keep anything bigger than that.
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you go to... Now I forget the name. St Julian, maybe? Very nice. I really liked Malta when I went. My sister in law's middle name is Valletta, because her dad lived there for ages. Lovely place.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Town beat a team from Malta once in the European Cup.

Snooker player Tony Meo! No, I mean Tony Drago! The falcon out of Dashiel Hammett's book! Er, spherical chocolates with a light whipped centre! Your boys... etc

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could have had Edward De Bono and page 3 legend Suzanne Mizzi too, according to Wiki.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

St Julian's I think lyra. No we didn't get there. Just Valletta, Sliema, Mdina, and some other place where we went out for dinner one night. It wasn't St Julian's but I can't remember what it was called - Tan Xian or something equally Chinese sounding
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Hibernians, they were called. There's no explanation on Wiki as to why they chose such a Scots-Irish kind of name.

Interestingly, the Maltese seem to use the letter 'X' in a similar way to the Basques.

Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how the Basques use it, but I do know Tampere United signed Daniel Nwoke from Marsaxlokk FC.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC