This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » More bike/scooter stuff (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More bike/scooter stuff
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool - cheers, TJA.

You coming along to Chimes' The Soup Kitchen club, tomorrow evening?

Now for the slightly harder bit: the practical test.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I passed. Hoo-fucking-ray! [Smile]

I was so despondent on Thursday night, after my two days of training, that I was convinced I was going to fail. The trainers had been so consistently down on certain aspects of my riding that it had shot my previously high confidence to pieces. As it was, I got through the test with only three minor glitches (with 15 being the threshold after which you fail). After the test, I was just so relieved to get the whole thing out of the way, pass or fail!

So - I now have the freedom of the motorways, too, which is a huge thing for me. I can also start looking for a bigger bike, although since I love the 125 I've got, that's not such a pressing concern.

So there you go - I'm almost 'a biker' ...except on scooters! :-S

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, evilC
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Clive. Congrats.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

In case anyone is interested (and yes, I'm looking at you, Twilight Johnny Atom)...

http://www.honda.co.uk/winABike/

Needless to say, I've put myself down for the Fireblade, should I win - despite the fact that I couldn't ride it, even if I did win it - I'd have to exchange it for an FJS600 or a DN-01!

Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or give it to me...

I hadn't seen this before, well done on passing Clive, that's brilliant news. I've lost track, is that the full bike test passed now? What are the restrictions on what you can ride?

By the way, did you get the waterproofs I sent a while back?

Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

Hello, TJA.

Oh, bloody hell! Had I not written to you to thank you for the waterproofs? I thought I had! Probably haven't, in that case and it's me memory going again. :-/ Thanks loads for them, though. Haven't had need to wear them yet - maybe in the Summer, though!

Yep - that is pretty much the full bike test passed now. The only restriction (if you'll pardon the pun) is that, since I passed on a bike of less than 56.6bhp, I'm limited to riding bikes of 33bhp or less for the next two years, after which I can automatically ride any size of bike. As it is, I can go on motorways now (although I haven't had need to yet). I'm also restricted to automatics, of course.

I'm gradually (when the weather and my health allow) clearing the mental hurdles in my riding: A few weekends back I rode to London (just to Waterloo - as much as I ever intend to do) and the following weekend I went to Brighton, where I've never been before in my life! I went down via Midhurst and Chichester (then along the coast) but came back up the A281, through Horsham and Guildford. All good fun - in fact, I'm bored whenever I'm not on the bike!

After doing a bit of reading up, I'm definitely looking for a Honda FJS600 Silverwing and having it restricted to 33bhp for the first two years. *cough*! Shame I didn't pass a year earlier, eh, TJA? ;-) Never mind - you up for some Silverwing-tyre-kicking soon(ish)? :-)

I've only put myself down for that Fireblade because it's worth more than the others! When I saw the competition I immediately thought of you and your previous one. :-)

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went to Brighton, where I've never been before in my life!
Seriously?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

Yep, seriously.

I dunno how I've avoided it, really! I always made do with London for 'extraordinary' shopping and usually only found out too late when my (female) friends had been on a shopping trip down to Brighton. They've said they'll take me next time! :-) I've also got a few friends down there, so I'll be able to say hello to them now, too.

However, in general it's remarkable how poverty, lack of any kind of riding/driving licence and shit public transport can conspire to shrink one's horizons. I've still got friends in Farnham who are like that - no transport of their own. In London, I can understand people getting by, but out here it's really limiting. The situation was particularly bizarre since I'm a bit of a car freak, but just never learnt to drive. Of course, in the end, the public transport situation became untenable and I vowed to get a scooter and learn to ride properly. Three months later... :-)

evilC
Member # 1312

Okay - slightly drunken posting, but...

I'm in lust with this bike:

http://tinyurl.com/2w4lh3

...and given that the equivalent scooters are alot more expensive than it (relatively speaking) I am totally tempted to get this bike and use the (non-scooter-buying) saved money to have it restricted to 33bhp (which may be free anyway) and also have a 'Kliktronic' style auto gearshifter attached to it.

WOM, TJA - whaddya think?

WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Lovely. Nice size, too, a 650. That's the size I'm looking at right now. It's much more 'crotch rocket' than I thought you were into, though.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

Well, yes.

But look at it! It's enough to turn a good boy bad! The other (incidental) thing is that, whichever bike I buy, that's going to be it for the rest of my foreseeable bike life. Thus, it'd be good to have one that could cope with being restricted (to 33bhp) for 18 months but could then flourissh fully once the restriction was removed. You see, I can't really afford to buy a whole series of bikes over the next few years - whatever I buy first has got to last for, like, forever! Thus I'm torn between 100% practical and only 50% practical! :-/

die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you would enjoy that more than a big scooter. So long as you can get panniers and things so you can have the same functionality, I would go with a bike.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

DGLH!

I never realised you were into bikes at all!

Kind of to reiterate, but... my big problem is that I've got a paralysed left foot/ankle, so any normal bike I'd get would have to be fitted with a Kliktronic, Proshift or some equivalent third-party auto-gearshift system - at a price. The thing I've got to weigh up is whether the disproportionately expensive scooters or the modified 'normal' bike is the way to go.

The jury is still out, but with a large journey ahead of me (Sheffield and back, plus other day trips) in a month, the egg-timer is well and truly on my my purchases.

die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am more an interested observer who continually dates women who don't like my ideas about buying a bike. Or doing my test for that matter.

I just don't get the point of the oversized scooters. I understand why you would consider them, but lets be honest, they aren't bikes really are they?

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC