This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Tonight's Car Crash TV (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tonight's Car Crash TV
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I'm glad I slept all night, from 8pm til 5am, I think!

Did that Kirsty sneer and squint much? How condescending was she?

Shit - I live in No.4 and work in No.12! More than half that top 20 is within 30 minutes drive, moreorless. All I can say is this must be the 'Twenty Best Places To Live ...if you don't like seeing black people' chart. The amenities down here are deadful and the entertainments almost non-existent. If I ever win the lottery, I'm moving straight to the 7th-worst place to live ...gladly!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob,bob,bob & bob
Member # 4308

- posted      Profile for bob,bob,bob & bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit liking Kirsty & Phil; in an attempt to spend some quality time with the missus it is one of the few programmes we can watch together. But last night was a shambles.

These are ‘experts’ in the field, not professional TV anchors who can deal effortlessly with the unpredictability of live television. Their chemistry all but evaporated as they were worried about not fluffing their lines or looking into the wrong camera (which they did, frequently).

And what was the idea in bringing back Kirsty’s considerably less talented and charismatic sister? Sophie was a complete dullard when the show was pre-recorded so whoever thought she could do a live link up must have been heavily sedated. Maybe the idea to have her go to the ‘Worst’ town was punishment for her general crapness, and there may have been some who got some perverse pleasure from watching her squirm. But it was tortuous for the viewer too.

The producers must have known that the whole live format wasn’t going to work. Dealing with the issue of best and worst was always going to cause controversy, but it didn’t stop one message card getting through to Kirsty that could have contained something offensive or even libellous. It’s as if they wanted to get the programme taken off the air.

In fairness to Phil, he soldiered on bravely. And in equal fairness to Kirsty, she didn’t pretend to be something she wasn’t by not attempting to hide her contempt for the whole live format. And you could see her point, as the pre-recorded reports of the best and worst were polished and entertaining, illustrating why Kirsty and Phil’s shows have been such a success for the last few years.

The idea of Best and Worst towns is a great idea that has just been poorly presented. It would be a shame if the format was to be dropped on this showing.

Posts: 115 | From: The Wirral Peninsula | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very disappointed to have missed this, but delighted at the result. Middlesbrough is a weeping cyst on the hide of the north east.

Very tempted to grab a torrent of the whole shebang, if it doesn't crop up on YouTube.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
13 St. Albans

Yay! That's a couple more grand on the house value, especially in the wake of the Monopoly announcement.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haringey includes Highgate Village. What a wonderfully illogical concept, this programme appears to have been.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from all the aforementioned stuff, I recall that last time they kept saying "this has been worked out by a scientific system" or whatever. They didn't bother to tell us what that was. I assume they're thinking in terms of a family too. I won't avoid an area because it has "bad" schools.

[ 18.10.2007, 18:21: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an incredibly nasty idea: go to the shittiest places to live, and broadcast to the rest of the country how shitty they are. Must make the residents of said places feel so much better about their lives.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it as more of a badge of honour that I lived in the second worse place in Britain, personally. But yeah.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honorable Kirstie Allsopp is the daughter of Sir Charles Henry Allsopp, 6th Baron Hindlip - so it's not overly surprising that she's a bit of a Tory. Quite why C4 thought it would be a good idea to let her to tell the working class how shit their lives are, I can't imagine. I quite like the Spencer bloke though.

Was anyone else reminded of the original Brit awards fiasco?

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am amazed by Nottingham, it always seems nice to me but, again, it is the crime there. I am astonished that Mansfield was deemed better than it, it is the arsehole of the world.
Ec-fucking-xactly.

Two things I would like to do over the course of the next 12 months; push a pint glass as far back into the heads of these two cunts as possible, and help Nottingham get right to the top of the list. By, I dunno, starting a plague.

And how did Hackney drop 12 places? Did they open a crystal shop, or summat?

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manchester a worse place to live than Burnley? On no possible measure, unless access to cheap heroin rated highly. And how Salford rates higher than Manchester is also a mystery to me. Burnley is the worst place in the world. Also mysteriously missing from the worst places: Barrow and South Elmsall. And Accrington.
Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC