This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Press / Photographer Pass...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Press / Photographer Pass...
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mate of mine is a bloody good photographer in his spare time and now wants to try his hand at sporting events. How would he go about getting a pass for footy games etc? Is it via the club or does he need someone to send him officially? Can he just turn up and say he is a freelance photographer or does it not work like that?
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freelance snappers have just about been driven out of the Prem by the licencing system which can really only be afforded by the big boys...
so no, don't just turn up.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the sporting event, really. I'm sure he could get a snapper's pass at Farsley Celtic easy enough, just by phoning them.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he just wants to take pics of a specific club, then he needs to apply to that club for a photographer's pass, which (contrary to TonTon's comment) clubs seem reluctant to grant. If he wants to take pics at a variety of games involving different clubs, then he needs to apply to the FA for a licence, which they will only grant if he can either provide a lenghty cv, or else prove his press accreditation (and which, I think, costs a decent wedge). This is for competition games. If he just wants to take random footy photos then he can go to reserve games and friendlies and such like without going through any of this bureaucratic bullshit.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have picked on a club too high in the pyramid, in a desire to northernise my post. He could certainly get a pass at our games by phoning the club.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he could try AFC Leeds.

Oh...

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell the truth, Farsley may well be more accommodating than Oxford. So may a lot of other clubs. If I ever make it to an AFC Wimbledon game, I'll try to remember my camera.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shorty Medlocke
Member # 1039

- posted      Profile for Shorty Medlocke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be very difficult depending on the level he wants to try his hand at - I used to get into Darlo games (home and away) via the club itself as a favour from them as I took shots for some of the websites.

The local paper then wanted to use my shots for away games so they started putting me down on the list they send to away clubs.

Some clubs don't really care about sticking to the rules at our level but the odd club did ask if I had insurance - I didn't - so they wouldn't let me on the pitch. Or they'd want my licence number (which I don't have).

I think to become licenced/accredited to take shots at games outside the Premiership, you need to produce a set number of invoices to show that your shots have been used by local/national papers.

It's the usual chicken and egg situation which is a right royal pain in the arse.

It's not like I'm turning up with a little camera and trying to sneak in for nowt - I just enjoy taking shots of my team in action.

And it's not as if I carry a great big bag of camera gear to away games on trains for the good of my health...

Posts: 204 | From: Depths of the Magic Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advice, will pass this onto him tomorra...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzo
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Gonzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Will mail you in due course BL;If you don't hear within the week, PM me?
Posts: 2962 | From: The Pale, Erin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC