This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Crazy Mad Vol (aka the US decline thread) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Crazy Mad Vol (aka the US decline thread)
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more in terms of Canadian tourists will now be more likely to take a vacation in the US than stay in Canada, especially in the winter.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completely and utterly psyched about the dollar being where it is.

I'm dying to head to New York and shop my ass off. (Non-Canadians needing an explanation: our retail sector is unbelievably boring...especially where shoes are concerned...Spangles is advised to avoid this country entirely). And I can now hire Americans to come work in Canada, which is *fantastic* because they're the only ones who get what I do.

That said, I'm slowly moving most of my money (not that it's an immense amount or anything) into US stocks. This decline is starting to get out of hand and a correction is seriously due. If that 1990 analogy holds, anyone who invests *now* in the US is going to do very, very well.

Never count the American economy out. People who do so have an unbelievably bad track record. Corporate America might be greedy but it isn't stupid.

(Exception: Detroit. GM currently loses $2000 on every car it makes. And its business strategy is to make as many cars as possible).

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more in terms of Canadian tourists will now be more likely to take a vacation in the US than stay in Canada

Vacation? Pshaw! We're going to buy the f***king place! That beachfront condo in Hawaii? Chump change.

It's time to welcome your Canadian carpetbagger overlords.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm comfortable with that.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can never follow the Bank of Canada's theory on interest rates.

The Economy has never been stronger, raise interest rates to combat inflation.

The Dollar is trading at an all-time high, stave off a recession by lowering interest rates.

What the fuck are these people talking about ?

Incidentally, "yes please" to lower interest rates !

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness, Hugh, I don't think anyone at the Bank thinks we need lower interest rates because of the dollar. In fact, I think they've said quite the opposite. It's the politicians who are trying that one on.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh bugger
Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Quite.

But you could start to think about buying property near Buffalo. It's cheaper, interest is lower and it's not *that* much further from Woodbridge...

Reed
Member # 55

-
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Onion editorial cartoons. I've seen many like it that weren't being satirical.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
buying property near Buffalo
I'd do this, and with the leftover cash install a commercial-grade sprinkler system and heated driveway.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Careful. You'd also need a really, really big snowblower to survive their winters. You wouldn't want to run out of cash and not have one of those.
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no, man. That's what the heated driveway is for. Snowblowers are for chumps. I'll be king o' the block with my year-round clean tarmac (and sidewalk, if the city will grant my special variance).
Oh, it'll be great. Buffalo...a great place to come from.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the mandatory allegiance to Chuck Mangione.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

You still need to get to the car, and you need to get the car on the road. Unless you're planning on ripping up the entire block with this special variance...
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC