This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Chavez watch (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Chavez watch
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So yesterday there was a referendum in Venezuela, on (amongst other things) giving our Hugo the opportunity to have unlimited terms of office. He lost by less than 1% (his first major electoral defeat), and conceded defeat sometime in the night.

Whatever else he can be accused of, being undemocratic wouldn't seem to be among his faults. In fact, Venezuela seems to be an extremely democratic country - with very high voter participation, referenda on major issues, etc etc.

I mean can you imagine Blair/Brown conceding a major defeat on less than 1%? Let alone Bush/Rove?

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of an issue on which they would have felt obliged to call a national referendum so it's perhaps an unfair comparison.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ID cards? Maybe they wouldn't feel obliged but they should .
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, fair play to him. How much difference will this result make?
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spock, you don't have to imagine Blair calling referendums. He did have them, on Welsh and Scottish devolution and the Good Friday agreement. I'm not sure what ad hoc imagines would have happened if Blair had lost them narrowly.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
with very high voter participation
I don't think the turnout was that high. From what I read, only 56% of registered voters went to the polls.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Blair or Brown would do would depend on all sorts of party-political considerations, having to do with whether the political risks of forcing the issue (by calling recounts etc) outweighed what was likely to be gained. If you're pretty sure you're going to lose anyway, even narrowly, you should probably cut your losses and go for "dignified" damage limitation.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Yeah, most of the public hate bad losers. There was a good example of that with the 1997 Winchester seat where the sitting Tory, Gerry Malone, challenged the result after a narrow loss. He was absolutely murdered in the subsequent by-election, in effect turning a marginal (even in the 1997 landslide against the Tories) into a safe seat.
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They lost the North East referendum didn't they?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could be part of his strategy, graciously conceding defeat to attempt to win the trust of even those who opposed him and probably expected him to do something underhanded to win. He'll probably sit on this for a while, maybe make a few adjustments and then put it up for a vote again the next chance he gets, hoping more of his supporters will bother to go and vote. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this referendum.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Not much wrong with that, FF.
Femme Folle
Member # 25

I didn't say there was.
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I thought "strategy" sounded a bit like a criticism, but I wasn't sure.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, most of the public hate bad losers. There was a good example of that with the 1997 Winchester seat where the sitting Tory, Gerry Malone, challenged the result after a narrow loss. He was absolutely murdered in the subsequent by-election, in effect turning a marginal (even in the 1997 landslide against the Tories) into a safe seat.
Couldn't that also be explained by non-Tories who didn't bother to vote first time around thinking "Wait a minute, this fucker is there for the taking!", and coming out in their droves for the second ballot?
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

If I had used the word 'plan', would that have sounded less critical? A politician without a strategy wouldn't be a very good (or successful) politician.
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC