This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » You take a wrong turn and... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: You take a wrong turn and...
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on holiday in the Peaks (Hope Valley) between Christmas and New Year, so if this ramble does come off you can count me in.
Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working 4pm-1am from the 17th up until the 25th inclusive (week-end aside) so I'm quite free for a little trip to the Peaks, either for a stroll or a pint.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday or Thursday next week look good to me. I'd be keen to explore the other side of Edale, really. Are there any nice pubs near Chinley?
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'm back 21st-30th.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All being well I'm planning on doing the Wainwright Walk (or a slightly truncated version of it) next Juneish. Any comments or advice are appreciated.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never stopped in Chinley but it's a short walk to Buxworth Bassin where there is a rather nice pub I've patronised and from there just another short walk to Whalley Bridge.

Check out on the OS website, Buxworth is west of Chinley.

My missus points out that she is off thursday and she has a car should the weather be rubbish.

Spock, I've got my work do on saturday (22) evening but I'm quite free during the day however it will have to be an early start. Sunday is also a possibility as well as the 24th during the day (working at 4pm) for a stroll.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - missed this. I won't know for sure what my 'commitments' will be until I get back. Sunday will probably be the easiest but unless I can persuade my fell walking school buddy to come along I'll have to rely on public transport, which will require some pre-planning.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

Bomba, thursday is the day, you'll even have the pleasure to meet Mrs Croute. I need to be back at work for 4pm, which means leaving there at 3pm so I propose a meet at around 1030-11, stroll (weather will be good) then pub. Chinley train station might be a good place to meet I guess.

Stock, do you stay around Widness when you go to the UK? The coastal path from Southport is quite good actually, good distance, beach and wood walk, flat obviously. That might be easy by public transports if you stay where I think you stay?

Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM sent
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

PM sent too.
Member # 19

Got dropped at the foot of Anglezarke Moor today, crisp, cold, windy, frozen, an ideal day for a bracing walk. Alas, lack of sleep and general unhealthiness of my week-end has meant that I stopped 1/3 in (having done the hardest bit...) and turned my day into a stroll along reservoirs, disused quaries, picturesque cricket pitches (White Coppice) and old lead mines. I finished a bit earlier than planned so I waited my wife in an old pub full of character with a pint of Cumberland Ale.

Now I'm at work till 1am, it's going to be long...

Member # 19

Sunday 23rd

If anyone fancies meeting up with Spock,his mate and myself for a leisurely ramble in the Peak District, please PM me.

As it stands, we are meeting at either Disley or Furness Vale train station (I will be picking up the train from Deansgate, Spock is boarding at Stockport) and we are planning a walk up to Kettleshulme, a charming hamlet where the excellent Swan Inn is the destination for a pint (I just remembered they don't serve food over the festive period...) then we'll proceed down Whalley Bridge to hit a few more boozers and have a bite to eat I guess.

The walking bit will be about 3 hours, nothing too difficult although you'll need to have proper walking kit, it's muddy up there, unless you really don't care about walking in mud-cacked, wet jeans and trainer for the day.

Meeting time will be after 10am. Both definitive time and train stations to be announced shortly.

Spock na Escada
Member # 47

Sounds good. If you could pm me yr mobile number just in case anything changes - I won't be online much (if at all) after tomorrow.
Member # 19

Today I managed to pull a muscle in my left calf, walking in a small park right next to where I live. At first I felt like someone threw something at me then I realised I could not put my foot down anymore. Lucky me, my GLW was at home so she picked me up and we went to Altrincham hospital where they have a rather handy Minor Injuries unit which sorts you out very quickly (30m between the wait and the chat with the doctor). Result, I have now a pair of crutches and my week-end is fucked...The good news is that it should go away in a few days, the bad news is that it will be a couple of weeks before I should start to be able to walk properly...

At least it did not happen whilst I was up some desolate moor in foul weather...

Spock na Escada
Member # 47

Hope the leg's repairing ok. I did the same a few years back - it did feel just like being hit by a stone.
We dispensed with the train and walked from Poynton across the fields to Disley, up into Lyme Park and back via Pott Shrigley to the Boar's Head at Middlewood.
If the weather holds I might try going up Kinder scout from Eadale on Friday.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC