This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » The Bethlehem Delusion? (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Bethlehem Delusion?
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why do people need to belong to a religious group, rather than a non-religious ethical collective?"

That's such a Monty Python line waiting to happen. "They're not the chosen people. They're a non-religious ethical collective."

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Why do people need to belong to a religious group, rather than a non-religious ethical collective?"

Some do. It's called the Unitarian Church. It hasn't really caught on.

Founded in Transylvania, fact fans
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rogin, was that sketch supposed to help me with my scenery issue?

ANyway, you have been somewhat trumped with your Gorbals Nativity

-

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say I say I say, my husband's become managing director of a private sector prison in what used to be called Nicaea.

Iznik?

Well, no, he doesn't actually own it.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The essential point about any of Dawkins' writing is that it concentrates on a narrow scientific perspective. Hardly surprising that he sticks to his chosen calling in life, really.
His, and our, problem is that believers don't give a monkeys whether it stacks up scientifically because it's not meant to.
If RD proved beyond doubt that religion was a logical step in evolution they would still believe.
Also, it matters not a jot whether he is vain or self regarding, but is a good example of trashing the writer when you can't deal with the argument.
I have heard that the Archbishop of Canterbury is rather up himself lately...

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fine trick if you can do it...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The essential point about any of Dawkins' writing is that it concentrates on a narrow scientific perspective.
I think that's a little glib, to be honest. I mean, it's a charge that might be made to stick, but I don't think you can get there from "scientist; likes science; interested in evidence for truth-claims".

You'd need to work harder than that, I think: to explain, as toro's tried to (though not in a way I've been able to follow) why, say, existence-claims concerning deities are to be treated differently from, say, claims to be able to cure cancer.

Because there are certainly people who make the latter kind of claim, and resist scientific scepticism about it, and few right-thinking people would regard that resistance as well-placed. So I reckom that shows, right there, that if you want to make the case against training a scientific lens on your truth-claims, it's not enough merely to assert that your beliefs are extra-scientific.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oadlad
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for Oadlad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Training a scientific lens on religion, or any belief system is fine and necessary.
The question is what do you do when those under the scrutiny swerve it and withdraw into a 'science can't deal with everything' argument.
I am not opposed in any way to him concentrating his expertise on it but the phenomenon is a bit more resilient than that and requires a broader approach. But I suppose it is arguable that all these other approaches come round to a scientific argument in the end.

Posts: 157 | From: Leicester UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
think: to explain, as toro's tried to (though not in a way I've been able to follow) why, say, existence-claims concerning deities are to be treated differently from, say, claims to be able to cure cancer.

Because there are certainly people who make the latter kind of claim, and resist scientific scepticism about it, and few right-thinking people would regard that resistance as well-placed. So I reckom that shows, right there, that if you want to make the case against training a scientific lens on your truth-claims, it's not enough merely to assert that your beliefs are extra-scientific.

Perhaps I'm being dense here, but it seems to me that the difference is rather obvious.

It's fairly easy to prove that various sorts of quackery don't work. Run a placebo controlled trial. Not only can you say there's no evidence that the quackery works, you can get evidence that it clearly does not work.

God's existence is more elusive. When asked how this or that observation can be reconciled with the God hypothesis, believers can always punt and say "his plan is mysterious to us mortals." That's maddening, perhaps, but I don't see what evidence you can put forward to counter it.

Of course, you can make powerful arguments that believing in something for which there is no physical evidence isn't rational. But that's a different sort of argument than you'd make against a bogus cancer cure.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Devotees of quack cures are also quite deft at explaining things away to their own satisfaction. For the scientifically-minded to back off, they'd need to do it to our satisfaction.

[ 16.12.2007, 16:33: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC