This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Advice required on the correct response when receiving a dismal xmas newsletter (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Advice required on the correct response when receiving a dismal xmas newsletter
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
her sociopathic husband is both a vile racist and fanatical AC Milan supporter
Excellent...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has it existed in Britain (or among Anglo expats) for a while?

Long enough to have books devoted to the idea.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once watched a Milan-Napoli match with him, when Napoli won he was on the verge of taking his baseball bat (bought to defend himself against black muggers in Balham) to the TV

Was that the match when DiCanio scored a fantastic winning goal?

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in the early-mid 90s sometime.
All I can recall now is his furious response and explanation about how I just couldn't understand that 'these people' (southern Italians) were subhuman, and if he parked his new car in Napoli someone would steal it or scratch simply for the fun of antagonizing him as a northerner.
I didn't bother mentioning that as he lived in London his car had British plates, so how would they know? And that cars got stolen and scratched in places other than Naples. I mean he still had the baseball bat by the side of his chair.

[ 19.12.2007, 10:40: Message edited by: Spock na Escada ]

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they're handled really well, these Christmas newsletters seem really dismissive to me. There's something about their impersonality that feels like the sender is really saying 'I can't much be arsed with you, fuck off.'
Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or possibly more poignantly : "I can't be much arsed with myself, fuck off."
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get ganja to ask his wife not to send you any more.

(Joke)

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got two of these this morning and was contemplating starting a thread...

One was just an in laws thing, catalogue of broken bones and trips to Lincolnshire, and small children's music lessons, but one was from a friend who always writes quite entertaining sarcastic ones. 'I'm on the anti-depressants again.'

[ 20.12.2007, 14:07: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

Go on then post it up..!
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh they're on paper and I left them at home. maybe later!
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps its just my love of trivia, but I like some of the Christmas letters we get. When I mean we, I mean my parents. They get letters from people who we haven't seen in a long time because they moved far away, etc, many of whom had kids my age. I get a small kick out of knowing that such and such that used to play in the sandbox with me at nursery school is now living in Everett, Washington and teaches high school math (or whatever the story is.)

Usually, the letters come from a matriarch detailing the lives of several children and grandchildren. I agree that some of them can be needlessly detailed and some tend to brag insufferably about the achievements of the kids.

I don't know how it is over there, but in the US it's traditional to send Christmas cards to just about everyone you've ever heard of. For example, in the film Field of Dreams Ray Kinsella tells Terrance Mann that if he'll just go with him to the baseball game once, he'll never bother him again - "not even a Christmas card." This illustrates how Christmas cards are the absolute minimum gesture of acquaintance.

I get Christmas cards from pr firms and device manufacturers that I talked to once. Usually, they aren't even signed, but sometimes they are. That's good business. My grampa used to send a hand-signed card to every client he ever had.

However, I don't send out Christmas cards. I have in the past, but it seemed pointless as I generally do a decent job of keeping up with people and I don't have a current address for those that those that I haven't kept up with.

I think it becomes more of a social obligation when you have a child and people want to see a picture of your child(ren) - or at least, it's an accepted social norm to believe that everyone wants to see a pictures of everyone's child(ren).

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC