This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » UK - it's really shit isn't it? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: UK - it's really shit isn't it?
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot on the back of discovering that it will take United Utilities two to three weeks to send someone out to see if a main sewer has collapsed, I now discover that I can't get my e-mail because the citric bastards at Orange have slashed the bandwidth on their pay as you go dial up.
I've been trying since yesterday lunchtime to download the 20 messages Outlook Express tells me it has queued but can't download. On top of which I can't open the web page for my ISP webmail server or even g-mail.
I'd phone them up and give them a piece of my mind but I really can't face the obligatory two minute (phone call at 1/min) sales pitch for the broadband service I don't need before being told that it's completely impossible that there is a bad connection and they will talk me through rebooting my computer and reseting everything at 1/min) before they will accept that there is a problem.
I'd sign up for another dial up and get another load of aggressive spyware and other assorted crap dumped on my hard drive but I've already tried most of them and they're all the same. None of them work properly.
Strangely I have no problem in opening this site.

[ 28.12.2007, 10:59: Message edited by: Spock na Escada ]

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who uses dial up in this day and age?
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UK is shit, because you can't make a redundant technology work properly?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Uk is shit because you post a genuine complaint and get series of smart-arsed comments in reply.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry - it won't be around much longer.
Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UK's shit because I can't get a pint of local real ale and be left with much change from three quid.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who use dial up:
Anyone in the country temporarily who has access to a phone line but doesn't want to take out a (minimum) one year contract on broadband and who needs to access their e-mail and aren't anywhere near an internet cafe.
Obviously doesn't include the smartarses above (cheers Chris!) but does include a lot of people here on business or holiday who stay in rented accommodation. So rather a lot of people, which is why most civilized countries still have simple efficient dial up access.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

btw I am looking forward to the next time London based posters complain about the difficulty of commuting across London when I shall be able to point out that it's their own fault for
a) not owning a helicoptetr
b) being unable to operate a (redundant) routemaster

hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit wanky posting a thread saying that an entire country is crap because you're too stupid to make t'internet work.
And the comparison you made is redundant, because those who complain about London transport, live there. A more salient example would be to suggest that the whole of France France is shit because you got stuck on the subway once.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a world's worst analogy competition going on?

But I can see that what you describe is annoying. Are you comparing UK with other countries with such prevalent broadband?

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
civilized countries
Yeah, why don't you fuck off back to Turkey and its excellent standards of human rights. I was in your corner until this but, you know, if you're such a mega important businessman who needs to check his email why didn't you sort all this out before you came, fucking dimwit.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Britain's standards of human rights really that much better than Turkey's, Frosty? if there was a league table for locking up the citizenry, often for long periods without charge, third place must be a long way distant.

Dial up allowed me to keep in touch with major events like otf over the holidays. Read only access, mind.

[ 28.12.2007, 12:53: Message edited by: Duncan Gardneresque ]

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Simple enough question: jail in the UK or in Turkey? Why don't you check out what Amnesty has to say on the matter.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 730

Anyway since when can you decide how civilized a country is depending on the internet access in the countryside? That's what I'm talking about, just in case it isn't clear.
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC