This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » UK - it's really shit isn't it? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: UK - it's really shit isn't it?
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was?
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Let's try a slightly clearer 'example. Had one of the US based UK nationals posted a criticism of UK dial-up Internet access - making ironic use of the word civilized would it be an acceptable to respond by telling them to (say) 'get the fuck out of Iraq, fuck of back to the US, and to check out the Amnesty report on the the US? And if not, why not?
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you got gonzo's Random Apostrophe Generator there?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE - I'm almost always disappointed when the "you're a racist" thing appears, because it almost always means the end of any possibility of a worthwhile discussion about the matter at hand, and a retreat into name-calling, with at the very best another unhelpful go around the "what is racism?" merry-go-round. Which is a shame. Because "why don't you fuck off back to Turkey?" needs some explanation, for me.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, because it's a poor argument. The hypothetical US-based person would still be wrong in the first place, though, and doubly so if he reacted to that by calling racism.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shhh, don't tell him..
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

The hypothetical US-based person would still be wrong in the first place, though,

Why? Are non UK based posters at barred from criticizing and making ironical comment on things that they don't like about their """home""" countries? Is it acceptable to criticise some things but not others? Is irony banned but hand wringing whining allowed?

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good old irony.
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh bog off the lot of you.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"why don't you fuck off back to Turkey?" needs some explanation
Is Spock of Turkish ethnic origin? Unless he is, then in context what seems to me to require rather more challenging explanation is how the fuck that comment can be characterised - in the context in question - as "racist".

And what WE said.

Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job it has been challenged then.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

And Carcass - your PM box is full.
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to make it crystal clear that I was under the impression that Spock was a white, UK born ex-pat. If he isn't I'll be horrified and apologize unreservedly. Sincerely.

Kris. I'll delete away now, turn off and await your epistle in the morning.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh look, he listens to you when you say his PM box is full, but not to me when I dedicate a whole thread to it.
<hmph>

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

Oh, dear, "epistle" makes it seem as if you're expecting something long and erudite. You're going to be so disappointed in the morning.

hobbes - you've either got it, or you haven't.

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC