This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Friday cryptic crossword game (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  58  59  60   
Author Topic: Friday cryptic crossword game
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the game: I start by giving a cryptic clue, the next person then answers by providing a cryptic clue of their own which contains within it the answer to the previous clue. The person after that answers in the same way and so on, creating a continuous chain of clues.

Here's the first clue: The next two days are an anticlimax, we hear? (7)

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a cryptic clue of their own which contains within it the answer to the previous clue
Wouldn't this lead to an endless series of clues for the same word?

If, so I'll answer yours with:

Whilst a clinical finisher, this still had Pelé knocking out the cock pills on telly. (7)

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the actual clue itself should contain the solution to the previous clue. The solution to the new clue could be anything at all, though.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

So I could answer yours with:

Do good, be a weekend otfer (7)

(Slightly non-Ximenean, that one)

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the answer's cleats, this might be a bit of a clue, followed by dogbeak and me (9).
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, then, try:

Cleats broken following directions followed by dogbeak and me. (9)

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

Newcastle Brown, say, served in pints - drunken ecstasy or troubled state? (9)

[ 25.01.2008, 16:32: Message edited by: Dr. Hofzinser ]

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Spies capture lawyers "turning tail", as they say in Palestine. (6)

[ 25.01.2008, 16:42: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the fuck are you talking about? (6)
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

OK, the "as they say in Palestine" part is kind of a stretch. How about:

Heard in Palestine: spies capture lawyers turning tail. (6)

Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah no, no, I have to say ...

I still don't have the faintest bloody idea what you're on about.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Sea would not hold back for this King, but around, gave Gary Neville (4)"?

[ 25.01.2008, 18:48: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

OK, third go. Quite easy now.

Language of Palestine: CIA bar reform. (6)

ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fashionable Persian leader captures everyone: Arabic wish. (9)
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Inshallah, by the holy scripture, something to eat! (7)
  This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  58  59  60   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC