This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Give a little Respect (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Give a little Respect
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, but a bit slow/small scale, n'est-ce pas?
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I am stunned that anyone gives a fuck about how long buses are

I assume you don't cycle or drive, or wait in buses in traffic jams in central London caused by Oxford Street being clogged up thanks to the buses taking up more road space than they need to?

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, though, are you standing in Wandsworth/Tooting? If so, I may actually be in a position to vote for you. And even more astonishingly, may be willing to, if only you didn't take such an extreme bonkers position on bendy buses.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as all that, bendy buses are really unpleasant to travel on. It baffles me how anyone could be in any way positive about them.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lardy - yes, I am. Wandsworth and Merton, which covers the whole of both boroughs. I'm not entirely serious about the buses either way - though I am honestly surprised that people get so cross. I avoid Oxford Street, it's a nightmare. I don't cycle, no. And I certainly don't drive in central London - what kind of madman does that? I get the bus. But not down Oxford Street, I'd walk, it would be quicker.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How TF do other people get pictures to appear on this fucking board?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

How intemperate.

Anyway, we got a very short slot on London BBC TV news thingy tonight. I missed it, but apparently I was in shot. Which is nice. I'm told the piece concentrated on the gorgeous one slagging us off. I'm still not sure what his seemingly secret list for the GLA is going to be, but it doesn't bode well for any particular left list hitting that 5% mark.

Still, fuck it, what else can we do but carry on?

E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Galloway and German sharing a platform at the anti-war demo on Saturday. How frosty must that have all been, backstage.

Galloway's speech was a bit, erm, dodgy anyway. He's got this bee in his bonnet about how people banging on about Iranian treatment of gays is 'useful idiocy' in the drumbeat for war on Tehran.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the demo like, E10? Haven't bumped into anybody that went yet.
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was OK. Had to be done. Too many speakers though, and there is a palpable sense of diminishing returns about these sorts of national demos on this issue. I think localised, direct action is probably the way ahead now.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry but bendy busses are absolutely fantastic to ride on.

As indeed are bendy trams.

I love 'em.

Did I mention how the city of London ripped off my mate Tyler?

He came up with a concept called I AMsterdam, designed to foster unity amongst the city's diverse population. The Burgermeister loved it, and the logo is now seen all over the city and its associated websites.

Next thing, London comes up with the WE ARE londONErs campaign, for the same motivation - even lifting the typeface and colour scheme of the original. The nerve.

Well done Ton Ton, if I was a Londoner I'd defo vote for you.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

Thanks, TPC.

I didn't stay for the march on Saturday, just did the rally and then high-tailed it off to Chelmsford. I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers, as it goes. But without a specific urgent situation, you aren't going to get the numbers out on the streets.

[ 18.03.2008, 21:57: Message edited by: TonTon ]

You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is a palpable sense of diminishing returns about these sorts of national demos on this issue.
I was thinking that way myself, but that study that the Horse linked to a few days ago http://www.onetouchfootball.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=019415

seems to suggest that public expressions of anti-war feeling like this might be doing a lot more good than we realise at the sharp end, as it were.

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TT, I'd vote for you too. Perhaps you could try slipping some sort of bizarro "once lived in London" qualification in the next manifesto.

On photos,

1) they need to be jpg, gif or another form the software recognises; and

2) the site they are hosted on needs not to have disabled remote linking;

You can check if those conditions are satisfied by using the "Preview Post" function after you have used the "Full Reply Form" to post the "properties" of the photo in question using the "Image" button (or the equivalent tags).

Even if those two conditions aren't satisfied (and you get a Red X or something similar in "Preview Post"), all is not lost. You can save the photo in question onto your hard drive (usually by right clicking and choosing Save Picture As). Then, once you have it in "My Pictures" on your computer, go to Image Shack, click "Browse" (which should go to My Pictures), select the photo, then click "Host it". After a few seconds (while it uploads the the image to its server), scroll down to "direct link to image", copy that url (using highlight/control-c) and then paste it into a message using "image tags" (or the "Image" button on the Full Reply Form). As before, the final step before hitting "Add Reply" is to check that the image "took" using "Preview Post"

The result will be something like this:

-

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

I think the ones I was trying met the two conditions, but I'll try the image shack thing, ta.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC