This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Bloody foreigners! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bloody foreigners!
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curse their industriousness - why can't they all just be lazy and feckless, then they'd be easier to tar with one brush!
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's astonishing that 2.6 million Britons are on incapacity benefit. That's around 1 in 15 of the working-age population. Are we really such an unfit nation that almost 1 in 15 of us are too ill to work? I know many people (probably myself included) couldn't lug slates up onto roofs, or move molten iron around a smelting works, but you don't have to be Daley Thompson to sit behind a till in Somerfield's, or answer the phnoe in a Travel Agency.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but even sitting behind a till or answering a phone requires a basic "presence", and set of life skills that come with having been employed recently. My understanding is that much of the rise in disability benefit numbers are due to a reclassifixation of people who have been unemployed 10 years +. They're not physically disabled, but they find it to hold down a job due to lack of education, skills, temperament, etc.

I don't think the UK is alone in this - I think similar rises in disability claims were seen in Alberta and in US states that experimented with tougher welfare laws, too.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AG, that's the rub, though. We're saying that millions of adults of working age are physically or mentally incapable of doing even the 4-hour afternoon shift at Lidl, 4 days a week (which would at least get them off "benefit" and onto Working Tax Credit, and earn more money to boot). I'm not arguing the merits of each and every individual case, but surely once society allows that situation to grow to that proportion, we must be getting it wrong somewhere.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's astonishing that 2.6 million Britons are on incapacity benefit. That's around 1 in 15 of the working-age population."

The figure in the Netherlands is 1-in-9.

[ 11.02.2008, 09:58: Message edited by: Your Own Personal Jihad ]

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rogin, when was the last time you were in a supermarket? Was it before or after the last time Mick Jagger got the tube? If someone's mental or physical health is fragile, an unskilled customer service job in a supermarket would be about the worst thing you could inflict on them, and would lead to a rapid deterioration in most cases.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, working in a supermarket's seriously hard work. Get the feckless proles into management consultancy, where it doesn't really matter what you do - and the less of it you do the better for everyone else.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the 4-hour afternoon shift at Lidl, 4 days a week
Doesn't exist. They offer a 15 hour contract and expect you to work at least 30 (without the guarantee that they have to offer you those extra hours), and all shifts are at least 6 hours.

Here's something on Lidl's working conditions:

http://franklludwig.com/lidl.html

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 1 in 15 is an improbably low figure if you're counting the whole working population. You must have really tough welfare laws to get down to that level.
Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If someone's mental or physical health is fragile
Not the same as medical unfitness to work, surely?

quote:
an unskilled customer service job in a supermarket
Customer service jobs aren't unskilled

quote:
would be about the worst thing you could inflict on them
Zero hours contracts et al referred above are pretty regressive and slewed in favour of employers, but the actual job itself must be of some benefit to the employee. Lidl don't pay people to work pointlessly

quote:
and would lead to a rapid deterioration in most cases
Evidence?
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If someone's mental or physical health is fragile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the same as medical unfitness to work, surely?

Unfitness to work in some jobs, certainly. Including the ones Rogin suggested up top as gentle ways to ease the incapacitated back into work.

quote:
Customer service jobs aren't unskilled
No job is altogether unskilled. 'Unskilled' in this context means pitched in with no prior training to cop flak from the public. It's the employers classification, not mine.

quote:
Evidence?
Mostly anecdotal. I'm not claiming to have the last word on this issue. But if I get time today, I'll try and bolster this a bit with actual facts and evidence.

quote:
but the actual job itself must be of some benefit to the employee.
This needs supporting with evidence as well.

[ 11.02.2008, 13:38: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YATR: I'm making a value judgement, as you'll have realised. I think the job is of value per se, even if the employment relationship is skewed.

I'll admit my own current status (unemployed) does rather contradict the principle, but hey. Come on hirers, ye know ye want me (winks seductively...)

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's astonishing that 2.6 million Britons are on incapacity benefit.
Apparently, there is quite a high percentage of people who are there due to mental problems and, reading inbetween the lines, there are a lot of stress-related cases.

After 3 years of being a house-husband, I have a worrying feeling that I have made myself unemployable

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

quote:
Mostly anecdotal
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the Tesco sweets at dawn stocktaking an angry Twix,
Angel Delight hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of bottled-water aisles floating across the tops of cities contemplating Daz

[ 11.02.2008, 13:59: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have even a Christmas job stacking shelves when the store is open, you will be trained in the layout of the store at the very least, because damn sure on your first day, someone is going to ask you "where are the turkeys?" and if its a "secret shopper" and you dont know, it gets marked down against the store, which leads to a lesser bonus between the staff whenever it gets paid.

AND you must answer that question in a certain way every single time, and ask them if they wish you to take them to it etc. Its easy when you know how, but if you are dropped in it, and its your first job in ages, I imagine its bloody nervewracking (if you take any job seriously).

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC