This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Bring back the good old days of OTF (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bring back the good old days of OTF
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be able to post anonymously as "Toro's Lawyer"
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ding!
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, I'd forgotten about Ding!s. We need Ding!s back. I liked Ding!s.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's a ding!, apart from a snooker player?
Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ding!
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If used to be a remark that someone had said something stupid, I think it started when some said "United", meaning Manchester United, but given there are lots of Uniteds, it was stupid.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was for generalisations that needed clarification wasn't it?
Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, bring back the good old days of OTF.

Is this also where these ridiculous "Meh", "Heh" and, to a lesser extent, "Nah" interjections originated from?

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dings started off meaning several different thigns, as they existed in the days of anonymous postings, so you could provide the meaning of the 'ding' in the name you put on the posting.

e.g. 'OTF Grammar Check' (or something) might have posted a 'Ding!' after an instance of bad grammar.

They did move to mean something more specific, when anonymous postings were disabled, but I actually can't remember the exact nuance.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
General usage was surely, Shirley, for irony detectors.

<taps his own worriedly>

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't they more of a "you've just repeated a canard that was long since demolished here, or displayed a prejudice that is unpopular here, revealing yourself to be outside the OTF elite-clique Thought Police" type thing?
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey.

'Ding' seems a very understated response to those misdemeanours, Horse.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen a good:

quote:
Do better.
...for a while.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OFFS.....
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember there was once an entire OTF thread that descended into this:

Regular OTFer: "Sorry for being crass"
Steve Ignorant: "Sorry for being Crass"
Lamb of God: "Sorry for being Christ"
Lawn: "Sorry for being grass"

And it went on for bloody ages. Ah, the good old days. Better than stringent debates, any day.

Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC